Freezing pH calibrator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
I just got me new Hanna pHEP in. I sure am glad to know the actual pH of my wines are. I purchased two levels of calibrator, 4.0 and 7.0. The calibration solutions indicate that they are good for 3 months after opening. I googled frozen pH calibrators. It appears frozen calibrators are acceptable. I have some nice little tubes with screw caps that will easily tolerate freezing. I thought freezing would give me an extended shelf life.

I'd appreciate any comments regarding frozen pH calibrators.

Thanks,

Paul

Price

Vin man,

The meter was about 85 from MoreWine. Add on 7.0 and 4.0 calibrators for another 10. MoreWine shipped at no charge. I did by a large bottle of electrode cleaner directly from Hanna for 25 with shipping. MoreWine did't carry this particular large bottle of cleaner. MW wanted 45 for their cleaner.

The Hanna tech rep told me I could use the 4.0 calibrator as a substitute for electrode storage solution.

Last edited:
Freezing is OK, just remember you will have to thaw it (bring it up to room temp) out before you use it each time adding to the time before you can get up and going. I do not freeze mine. Keep it stored in a cool place (the winery) in a small Nalge plastic cup with a screw on lid that was made for this type of solution. I have used mine for up to 12 mo, no problems and I just toss because they were a year old. You should easily get 6-12 months w/o refrigeration and w/o any problems.

Ditto with Mike. The large bottles are kept in a cool dark place and the mini containers I open and close are there as well. Fortunately my meter seems to stay calibrated or is pretty close but I do calibrate them from time to time.

Always rinse off the probes right away and store in the cap with 4.01 Never with water and keep the meter upright to keep the probes wet. I check them monthly unless I'm using them. It tends to dry out after a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back