Freezer cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Started clearing out last years leftover fruit from the freezer. I started steam juicing 16.25 pounds of blueberries from last season. So far I'm halfway done and I've got 1 gallon and a pint of juice. Hoping to get another 3 quarts maybe 4 from the last blueberries. Got to love that steam juicer. Hoping to have enough juice to do at least a 3 gallon batch of blueberry port

Got a few packs of strawberries I will probably do either tomorrow night or on Monday to get them out of there. They will make nice wine or juice one day.

Are there skins left when you steam? Can you add them for body and color?

ended with a little over 2 gallons of juice for 16.25 pounds. I added 2 cups of sugar for the first batch and 1.5 cups on the second run. I also steam juiced the pulp from the first batch for a second hour with the next batch. I am very happy with the results. I put a few drops on the refractometer and it was 17-18 brix........

Joan, as far as the pulp, I guess you could save it and bag it to ferment on but I would suspect that you have released almost all of the goodies from them. I did this past year's batch of blueberry without fermenting on the skins / from juice only. It came out pretty darn good. Bottled it last month and letting it get some gray on it before I open another bottle.

The color extraction is great, got a dark purple juice.... Think I will make the blueberry port with 1.5 gallons of juice, then backsweeten it with the remaining 1/2 gallon as an F-pack. Time to formulate a recipe

BwHah Hahh hah hahh hahh......

Get you a pack of them dried elderberries from George and simmer them with about 3lbs nanners and add that juice to your must for the Blueberry Port

Freezer Cleaning Part 2

Got the juicer off the top shelf and proceeded to juice up the mulberries in the freezer. When all was said and done I juiced 32.25#'s of them wonderfully delicious berries (all of em, none left for cobblers) and got 15.4 quarts of juice for my troubles.

What happens next? Find my next post in the Fruit Wines Topic, coming soon...........

Latest posts

Back