Found a wine kit undr the stairs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumptia

Reaction score
Be darned if I didn't find a wine kit under under the stairs that both my wife and I forgot about. A Grand Cru Pinot Chardonay.

Its from 2005, but I'm going to put it down anyway. I figure all I have to lose is time and a bit of water.

I'll get some new yeast, but other than that I should be good to go eh?

Anything else I should be worried about?

I would go for it were I you but don't expect too much. That is very old for a white kit but like you say you are only risking a little water, yeast and time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ok, will do. Thanks

Man wish I wasn't 5 hours from the nearest brew store. Be nice to drop in to get supplies instead of blind ordering.

Well, the kit waited 8 years under your stairs. I am sure it can wait a little bit more while you get the ingredients. :D

I am very curious as to how the wine would taste. Please update this thread with your findings.

:db

Well, the kit waited 8 years under your stairs. I am sure it can wait a little bit more while you get the ingredients. :D

I am very curious as to how the wine would taste. Please update this thread with your findings.

:db

Haha too true. I'll post for sure.

Now to find some one who is heading for the city.

In case you might wonder why I live so friggin far away from a brew store lol, ;) (seeing how many of you are from the states) I live 15 hours north of the North Dakota border. On a map of Alberta I live up in the northwest corner near High Level, Manning and Peace River. La Crete is a small mennonite community and I'm pretty sure the nearest brew store is in Grande Prairie (5 hours south)
(just an FYI):p

Hi guys,

I got some new yeast and finally put that kit down that I found under the stairs. It's a Pinot Chardonnay.
I'm on day 3, keeping the temp at 25 (77f) and its fermenting like mad. Sounds crazy but its exciting to watch it bubble lol.
Sooooo fingers crossed.
Updates to follow

Wow that is great news! Wishing you the best success! Would have thought it would have oxidized in that amount of time.

Just out of curiosity, if you havn't thrown the old yeast package away, try rehidrating it. Just wondering if there are any cells in there still alive. Arne.

Shoot i would have tried that but too late, I heaved the old yeast.
The brew smells like pears........ Mmmm

Well, I racked my old kit from the primary to the carboy and the SG is right where it should be. I snuck a sip out of my hydrometer flask and one eyebrow went up. It was pretty good. I left it on the counter for 1/2 hour and it got better! It'll be ready for bottles on the 28th. Big day. Can't wait.

I do have 1 question for you experts. It's a Chardonnay so it should have a nice and light yellow color. Mine has an amber hue. Looks just like ice tea. What caused the color change?

If it works out think I call it a "Carmelized Chardonnay" lol

Before you bottle (no rush) get some Polyclar clarifier. I used it on an old Brunello kit that was brown. It came out great, improved the color and taste. Turned out to earn a silver medal in the Pittsburgh. I got it from Fine Vine Wines. 1/8 ounce per five gallons. Good luck.

From what I read about the polycar its a clarifier right?

The wine is as clear as a bell, its just an ice tea color.

Do you think it still needs it?

I used it to remove a brickish tint to an old kit that was improperly stored.

Here is some information out on the web.
"Polyclar wine stabilizers from Ashland are based on proven polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (PVPP) technology. This provides effective and highly selective reduction of polyphenols that cause oxidative discoloration, haze or loss of fresh aroma and flavor characteristics. More specifically
Polyclar wine stabilizers result in:

Prevention of ‘pinking’ and ‘browning’ reactions in white and sparkling wines

Improved wine clarity in bottle

Enhanced aroma and flavor in red wines - preserving more of the highly desirable fresh, fruity character

Reduction in excessive astringency or color when needed"
You can read much more here:
http://www.ashland.com/Ashland/Static/Documents/ASI/PC_11450_Polyclar_Wine.pdf

Hard to argue with that lol. I'll see if I can find someone heading to the city to pick some up for me. Sounds like I should have some patience and do it correctly.
From what I read, I drop in 1/8 to 1/4 ounce per 5 gallons, stir it up to a slurry and let it settle for 7 days or so. Correct.?

Well, I didn't use the poly clar that was recommended because I couldn't get to the city so I bottled it anyway.
Holy smoke, it tastes great right out of the carboy!
Couple weeks / months in the basement on the cool floor and it'll be even better.
Color is off but the taste makes up for it!
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Rob

image-4029613660.jpg

image-3933116287.jpg

Latest posts

Back