Fortifying blueberry to a port?

Discussion in 'Special Interest Wines' started by Bliorg, Dec 22, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 22, 2019 #1

Bliorg

Bliorg

Bliorg

Junior

Hi All -

I know this can be done, and I'm vaguely clear on the steps, but need a bit more definition before I try this. I just racked 6 gallons of blueberry wine, which fermented to 0.990, and would like to take a couple gallons and fortify to a port. This was made with the frozen wild blueberries available at Costco. I have another 4 pound bag (and can get more) I reserved with the intention of making an f-pack.

So what's the correct process here? Make the f-pack with sugar, then do I add this to the wine in carboy, or move the wine back to a primary for this addition? How long does this sit together? When do I fortify? Sorbate before, or is the fortification done at the same time as the f-pack so the ethanol makes sorbate unnecessary?

Really, any help on the timing of this, or any pointers to the right resources, would be appreciated. I've read a ton of threads but it's all jumbled in my head. I'm not a huge port fan, but my wife is, and I'd like to surprise her with something special.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Dec 26, 2019 #2

Bliorg

Bliorg

Bliorg

Junior

Alright, here'z what I'mma do: I'm getting a couple 3 gallon carboys. The wine is a bit less than 6 gallons right now. Will rack off 2+ gallons to a bucket, add an f-pack, mix, immediately fortify to ~20% ABV, mix, then rack to a 3 gallon carboy. Will try to make the additions such that it finishes off at about 3 gallons, probably around 1.010. Let settle and age. No need for sorbate. Rack the other 3 gallons to the other carboy and age. Probably oak both - I have 8 oz of medium+ Hungarian cubes. Let clarify over winter, rack as needed, then bottle off sometime in the spring.

3. Dec 26, 2019 #3

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

I think that sounds like a solid plan.

4. Dec 31, 2019 #4

Vinobeau

Vinobeau

Vinobeau

What are you using to fortify? I usually use a brandy. A suggestion - you might consider laying up a few bottles with SG around 1.02 and try them in 5 - 10 years.

5. Jan 11, 2020 #5

Bliorg

Bliorg

Bliorg

Junior

Okay, I'm so beyond happy with how this worked out. I fortified with 151 Everclear (which I'm amazed they sell in PA). Wanted to minimize dilution, and am not a fan of brandy. Made an f-pack with 4 pounds of the frozen wild blueberries, ended up with a little over a quart of juice reduced down by about 2/3. Had a bit under 6 gallons of the blueberry wine to start. Racked off 3 gallons to one carboy. Started racking the rest to a graduated 5 gallon bucket. Added the f-pack, sugar to 1.020, and 1200 mL Everclear, per Pearson's square. Continued racking to a little over 3 gallons. Stirred thoroughly to dissolve the sugar. Mixed in pectic enzyme - the internet is back and forth on whether blueberries are high in pectin, so no harm no foul. Racked to another 3 gallon carboy. Both carboys got 2 ounces of medium+ French oak cubes. The port has a really nice flavor now, but will need time to integrate. Will let it sit on oak until maybe April then see where we are. May need a little more sweetening. Alcohol is a bit over 20% per my calcs, so I'm not sorbating, unless I start seeing some activity in the airlock.

Best part is my son, home from college, helped with the whole endeavor. Wonderful day.
    49369976722_61f9b21588_w.jpg

NorCal and Boatboy24 like this.
  6. Jan 12, 2020 #6

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

I did a port from blueberries in 2013 and still have a case of 500ml bottles left, along with a few 375's. It turned out great, but I haven't had any in a year and a half. Just put some in the fridge to chill. I'm sure you'll enjoy this one over time.

Draft saved Draft deleted