For you juice pail vets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
Never done a juice pail. How do they differ from grapes? Making is obvious, but how do the results differ?

Let's say I try a commercial varietal I really like. Can I get close with a juice pail of the same variety?

I'm guessing tannins and color will be less ...

The juice pails are just someone else pressing the grapes for you. Mine are Regina and come from California via a produce supply house in Pittsburgh. They are sulfited and ph balanced. Simply open, add pectic enzymes and ingredients, then next day add yeast.

I have had a gentleman who is a wine taster for the LCB here in PA that has sampled mine and informed me that my wines were just as good if not better than what is sold at the State Stores.

You can definitely make excellent winefrom juice buckets.

Thanx for the replies. But I already know how they're processed. I'm wondering how they compare to their traditionally fermented counterparts.

For example, a red would normally be crushed, fermented, THEN pressed.

The juice pails are obviously pressed pre-ferment.

What I'm wondering is what the difference is in the finished products. Are they close?

I find them weaker in body and tannins then from grapes or even grape skin kits.

I find them weaker in body and tannins then from grapes or even grape skin kits.

Thanks, Wade. Do they still resemble their grape/skin-kit counterparts?

I'm surprised by the body comment. I expected weaker tannins - might be a good thing quicker drinking.

Latest posts

Back