For all beginner's to read

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3274mike

Michigan Member
Reaction score
Started making a left over wine after transferring a few carboys had some lees juice and just a few extras to make an experiment ended filling up a 6 1/2 gallon carboy , usual practice is to ferment in a bucket but it will be fine. Last ingredient was some coffee. Added yeast energiser nutrient and yeast. This was Saturday morning. Sunday evening went down stairs to get children and noticed something all over the floor not good. The 6 1/2 gallon carboy had exploded luckily no one was downstairs at this time. The gas and foam pushed the coffee grounds into the neck of the carboy plugging the airlock and a wine bomb. I am not a beginner just got careless learn from me what not to do.

Wow! Did you superglue that stopper into the carboy? ;) I'd expect that the stopper would blow off long before the glass would break. Glad nobody was down there when it happened.

Apparently blocked up the airlock and stopper before it could blow the stopper live and learn

Unbelievable. Imagine the pressure it took to blow the glass! Thanks for posting a lesson for all of us.

I'd expect that the stopper would blow off long before the glass would break.

Seems like the stopper allowed the coffee to pack in behind it. By the time the pressure was large enough to push the stopper, the coffee had packed in hard enough to become a stopper.

My guess on that is you are lucky. Bet that carboy had a crack in it. If so, at least it let go when it was sitting and not when you were moving it. Means no cuts from the glass. Big cleanup, but no blood. Arne.

Yes big clean up and very happy no one was there when it happened and a good lesson learned

Latest posts

Back