Following Recipes - SG Too High

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineNewbie

Reaction score
Alright, I have had this problem twice now, so I thought I would throw it out there to see how others handle it.

Yesterday I was mixing up a batch of Blueberry (one-gallon). The recipe says to boil the water and dissolve the sugar in it. Then pour the Boiling water/sugar mixture over the fruit (which has already been crushed in the primary in a straining bag). This particular recipe called for 2.5 Lbs of sugar. After letting it cool to room temp. I checked the SG and it was 1.107, which is higher than I would have liked it to have been. So I ended up adding another pint of water which brought it down to 1.099. Still higher than I wanted it, but I didn't want to add too much water and thin it out any more. I haven't pitched the yeast yet, but I don't think it will be able to finish dry using Montrachet yeast.
Finally my Question: By following a recipe and adding the sugar to the boiling water you really have no idea what the SG will turn out to be until it's too late. How can I avoid this?

Masta,

That looks like a great tool. I will definitely use it next time around.

Thanks

smiley1.gif
WineNewbie said:
Alright, I have had this problem twice now, so I thought I would throw it out there to see how others handle it.
Finally my Question: By following a recipe and adding the sugar to the boiling water you really have no idea what the SG will turn out to be until it's too late. How can I avoid this?

You need to know what the brix of the fruit is and adjust your sugar from there. You might of had some really sweet (high Brix)berries which pushed the SG up. I have never had to adjust a fruit wine though. Normally I follow the recipe and my SG is really on target.

Also, the temperature of the must can throw off your SG readings as well. Most Hydrometers are calibrated at 60 degrees F. This might of been what gave you an off reading. Did you check it while the must was warm from the boiling water and sugar or did you let the temp stabilize and then check?

Also, are you using a test jar for your tests or just dropping the hydrometer in the must? You really need a test jar where you can view the sample from the side. The liquid will "curve up" on the side of the hydrometer. You read it from the top of the "curve" and not level with the liquid line. I wish I could remember the proper term or find a pic to post describing this. Maybe Masta will have one he can post. I know it sounds weird.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

THE ART OF WINE MAKING
STANLEY F. ANDERSON
FLOAT THE HYDROMETER IN TESTING JAR, THEN SPIN THE INSTRUMENT,BY TWIST OF THUMB AND FOREFINGER,TO DISLODGE ANY AIR BUBBLE WHICH MIGHT BE CLINGING TO ITS SIDES. THESE BUBBLES COULD CAUSE SERIOUS ERRORS. NOW, WITH YOUR EYE AT SURFACE LEVE, LOOK AT THE PLACE WHERE THE HYDROMETER STEM EMERGES FROM THE LIQUID. SURFACE TENSION CAUSES THE LIQUID TO CLIMB A LITTE WAY UP THE STEM. FORMING A TINE CURVE CALLED THE "MENISCUS". ignore the meniscus and see where the liquid,if it was level, would intersect the stem; that is where you should read the scale.

THOUGHT ITMIGHT BE INTERING.

I think the hydrometer reading was ok. Used a test jar, spun the hydrometer,the temp was 82F and the reading was adjusted accordingly. The only factor that could have affected the SG other than having sweeter berries than normal, would be the cheap $5 scale I have from walmart to measure the sugar.

Has anybody made a blueberry with a starting SG of around 1.099? I assume it will finish with some residual sugar, but it may still be ok.

I believe the rated alcohol tolerance of the Montrachet yeast is 12-14% so with a starting SG of 1.099 (calibrated to 60 as you indicated) I don't think you will end up with much residual sugar since the potential ABV is ~13.75%.

I never follow recipes to exact sugars when doing any batch. There are
just too many varietals if you ask me. If a recipe calls for 3 lbs. of
sugar I add 2 and work with it from there. I nthink the Sg of your
Blueberry is fine though as Blueberry is a very strong fruit that will
cover the aslc very well. Other fruits might be a problem with that SG
such as Apricots.

Edited by: wade

WineNewbie.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">I have made many fruit wines and I have found that by keeping the starting SG a bit lower 1.070 to 1.080 you will get a much more fruit foward wine. I have tried a few recipies which say to start at 1.095 but to me this is just to high for a fruit wine.AnSGof1.080 will still give you approx 11% ABV yet you will get a much better fruit taste. A too high SG will only mask the flovor with alcohol. In your case next time start out as as Wade indicated alittle at a time. Its easier to add than to subtract. Just my 2 cents
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill B

I found out the same thing with my blueberry recipe; I used about a full cup less than the recipe called for. I started at 1.090 and it didn't take long at all to mellow out.

Bill, I would have to agree. I have been holding off doing my fresh peach. I want to ferment to about 10% to 11%, then fortify a small bit with moonshine to see if that will hurt the fruit taste.

R.E.T. said:
THE ART OF WINE MAKING
STANLEY F. ANDERSON
FLOAT THE HYDROMETER IN TESTING JAR, THEN SPIN THE INSTRUMENT,BY TWIST OF THUMB AND FOREFINGER,TO DISLODGE ANY AIR BUBBLE WHICH MIGHT BE CLINGING TO ITS SIDES. THESE BUBBLES COULD CAUSE SERIOUS ERRORS. NOW, WITH YOUR EYE AT SURFACE LEVE, LOOK AT THE PLACE WHERE THE HYDROMETER STEM EMERGES FROM THE LIQUID. SURFACE TENSION CAUSES THE LIQUID TO CLIMB A LITTE WAY UP THE STEM. FORMING A TINE CURVE CALLED THE "MENISCUS". ignore the meniscus and see where the liquid,if it was level, would intersect the stem; that is where you should read the scale.

THOUGHT ITMIGHT BE INTERING.

Surface Tension! That was the word I was trying to remember!

Thanks

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

jobe05, I think you will be very suprised how well it comes out at 10% ABV. As for the moon, I have added it ti some Lemonchello in place of grain alcohol, I was not very happy with it. Your idea is good though, try a little bit first. Moon has a way of going a long way.(ha ha) good luck let us know how it works
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill B

Back