Flying with wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
My daughter has asked me to bring a bottle of wine with me when I visit her in London next month. Is that do-able? I'd like to carry it on but I doubt that will work. Any thoughts?

Can't carry on, must be checked in with the other luggage or inside the other luggage. Sounds like a fun trip!

I was reading TSA info about it and came across this: " Note: You can bring pies and cakes through the security checkpoint, but please be advised that they are subject to additional screening." (Yeah... like they would make it thru without someone sampling!)

Other things that need to be in checked bags... gravy, snow globes, and salsa. Gravy? Yeesh!

Lady, that pie needs to be screened. Hand it over please. You can reclaim it on the other side of checkin. A few minutes later you get the okay. Alright lady- in a half mumbled voice- your pie was fine. The security person hands the dish back over to you complete with crumbs on the bottom and blueberry stained teeth............. Now on to the daughters place!

You CANNOT carryWine on. You can have 2 bottles in your luggage.

P.S. I traveled every week for 3 years for work.

I've always just padded the wine well in checked luggage and it's been fine. As an aside, I was trying to save $$ once by bringing snacks/meals and my small jar of PEANUT BUTTER was confiscated.
smiley19.gif

Have a GREAT TRIP!!!

Was you bag hard sided or soft? I have a LeSportSac which has...seams. There is nothing hard about it except for the zipper pulls. =)

I have taken it in hard and soft bags. Just pad it good with clothing, or use some bubble wrap.

Ditto to Goodfella's comment - my bags are soft-sided and I've just wrapped the bottles in a lot of clothes. So far, so good (and Detroit's baggage handlers are not known for gentleness). :)

Joan, I have put my wine in check-in luggage without any problem. Lots of bubblewrap and it got to the destination just fine.Now,,,,about that pie....

Hehe I just came in from shoveling a boatload of snow and an apple pie right out of the oven sounds delish!

Back