Flowers of wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kflorjancic

Junior
Reaction score
I've read into flowers of wine and this does seem to fit the descriptions I've read... Any input (pictures attached)? Thinking it was mold, I tried to carefully remove it but most just formed into little balls and fell to the bottom. I plan to filter the wine into a clean carboy this weekend and try to salvage the wine. Has anyone had any luck doing this? It looks pretty gross but I would hate to throw it away.

image-1491902567.jpg

image-1811554959.jpg

Last edited:
Has this wine been properly sulfited?????? What you'll need to do is carefully insert a racking cane through it and rack as much as you can into a new vessel with a high dose of sulfite in the new carboy properly dissolved so as not to oxidise your wine because I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have not been doing a good sulfiting..... If you have not sulfited this wine in awhile which I'm pretty sure is true then you'll probably want to add a dble dose to protect your wine and try yo kill this bacteria. As we always say here going aunatural is not wise!!!!

I have to agree with wade. I does not look good, but do not give up hope. I would first try to remove the mold somehow (perhaps suck it up with a turkey baster)?

I would then check the smell and (if ok) the taste. There are very few things that can exist in wine that is harmful to hmans, so a slight taste is not much of a risk.

If tasting ok, then I would do as wade suggests and add some k-meta.

Back