Five Liter Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce67

Junior
Reaction score
I picked up three 5 liter bottles from a local restaurant. Thought they were cool.

I might like do some long term storage of last years cab in one of these bottles but have no idea of how to cork something like this..anyone ever try?

5 liters = 1.3 gallons so I suppose this is about 6 or 7 bottles.

Thanks
Bruce

I would take the bottles into your lhbs and see which bung fits.

My, my you're right.

From Valley Vinter's

Cork - 35mm x 54mm - Fits 5 & 6 Liter Wine Bottles
#BE-25-2555
$6.45
Quantity: Add to Cart

Man I feel stupid. I didn't know that there was such a thing. I assumed you wanted bungs for a wide mouth jug similar to the gal jugs everyone uses. Cool bottles for sure. I also seen 3,6 & 9 liter bottles while looking up what you meant after the other responses.

I got one of those and filled it for my niece's rehearsal dinner. I wanted to make up a big party bottle of wine, but found that they were rather expensive. The best I found on the internet was about $40 plus $10 shipping.

I ended up buying it at a liquor store.

I went into the liquor store to buy some cigars. I noticed a BIG display bottle on a shelf. It was the kind of promotional stuff that distributors like give out for advertising purposes.

I tapped it and noticed that is was a real bottle, made of thick green glass. Since it was only for display, it was empty. In other words, I found just what I was looking for!

I asked the fella behind the counter..

"how much for the big bottle?".

"Oh Sir, This is a display and not for sale" he said.

I offered him $10.

"you do know that this is empty" he said.

"Yes, I know" I said, then offered him $20.

"SOLD" yelled the man.

I am sure that he walked away thinking that he made the deal of the century. I am sure that he was wondering what kind of fool would pay $20 for an empty wine bottle..

I walked away happy on getting such a good deal.

The label on this bottle was applied with water soluble glue and soaked right off. I was then left with a new, unused 7 liter bottle!

To cork it, I ended up making my own cork out of a tapered cork stopper. I simply sanded the stopper until I ended up with a cylinder about the diameter of the outside of the neck of the bottle. I then sanded a taper on one end, narrowing it to the diameter of the inside of the neck.

I filled the bottle and just drove the cork in with a rubber mallet.

I was amazed on how well it worked! I stored the bottle on its side for two weeks with not even a smidge of leakage.

Sorry for the long post. Just thought that I would share.

Last edited:
Ok, how long was the cork you used? I've heard you could smear a little glycern on the cork and it would slide easier.

When all is said and done the cork was about 2.5 inches long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back