Mosti Mondiale First Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie

Reaction score
Well I bought my first Deluxe Wine Making Kit from George last month and also got a Summer Breeze Raspberry Merlot kit which I am beginning 3rd day in the bucket. First day had a gravity reading of 1.060 2nd day 1.040 and today the 3rd day it's reading 1.030 and the must is 74 degrees F. The directions say to keep it in the primary 3-5 days. My question is with the reading I'm getting when will I know it's ready to transfer to the carboy?

Congrats on your first kit! (But it won't be your last.... bwahahaha bwahahaha... ;) )

The fermentation sounds like it is doing fine. What do your kit directions say about when to rack to the carboy? Many kit directions tell you to rack when the SG is below some number, like 1.010, or 1.005, or 1.000. I am not familiar with that kit, so can you tell us what the directions say?

Thanks for the reply. The directions say once the specific gravity reaches 1.040-1.050 (approx. day 3-5) it's ready for first rack. I had the 1.040 reading by the 2nd day. It just seem kind of soon that I was getting these readings.

The operative word, abbreviated, in the instructions is "approx.". I say go ahead and rack or wait a day or two if that matters to you. Don't think it'll make a dimes worth of difference in your finished wine.

Ah great. I guess that's what I needed to know Bill. Thanks for the advice. Will be racking tomorrow.

Ah great. I guess that's what I needed to know Bill. Thanks for the advice. Will be racking tomorrow.

Is this your first effort at kit wine making? Reason I ask, you want to make sure you do a good job of degassing your wine when that step is called for in your instructions.

Well I have made wine many moons ago made a gal. or two with grape juice. But yes this is my first attempt at making wine with a kit and all the right equipment. I read a post about one of the members having problems with corks popping out of the bottles. Appreciate the advice about degassing. I will make sure when I get to that point to give the wine plenty of time to degas. Thanks to you and the other poster for the help.

Well I bought my first Deluxe Wine Making Kit from George last month and also got a Summer Breeze Raspberry Merlot kit which I am beginning 3rd day in the bucket. First day had a gravity reading of 1.060 2nd day 1.040 and today the 3rd day it's reading 1.030 and the must is 74 degrees F. The directions say to keep it in the primary 3-5 days. My question is with the reading I'm getting when will I know it's ready to transfer to the carboy?

Paul is correct. Read your directions and see what the recommended SG should read. I usually transfer at the 1.000 or .090 SG. But that is just personal preference.

Congradulations on your first kit. Enjoy the process!!! :)

Kathie

Latest posts

Back