First Time with Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry. I just re-read your last post and now see you already added the mlb. Three of those carboys really need topped off some way or another.

Oh sorry that picture is from removing the gross lees on the first 3. I have topped off to three fingers space after adding bacteria for MLF. I stirred last night which marked 3 days in the demijohns. I plan on possibly going up there tomorrow and checking on progress and doing another stir.

I still don't have a Chromatography tester yet but plan on getting one for week 2. What else should I inspect for MLF? Is it supposed to be bubbling? Or what else should I monitor for signs of MLF? I figure it has to stay in the carboys for 4 to 6 weeks then off to the barrel.

Well its been a week now and stirred it up yesterday. Demijohns 1-5 had stable juice temp of 60 and gravity of 1.000. The ph varied from 3.35 to 3.5 but I guess still within range of 3.3 to 3.6. Its all going to get blended into a 60 gallon french medium toast barrel anyways.

When I was stirring I could see the stuff in the liquid and bubble rising as well. Hope its all working its magic. I guess time will tell.

Plan on doing a Chromatography Test in another week.

I've never done an MLF chromatography test. I usually just taste for green apple to see. Let me know how the test goes though, it might be nice for another tool in the tool box.

Well another stirring today with PH readings of 3.35-3.54 and gravity of .9998 on 3 and .1.0000 on 2. Temps were a bit on the chilly side at 58 but I can't do anything about it since no power here in our neck of the woods. And I can't keep running the wood stove in the basement 24x7. This is my parents house so no one to mind the stove.

Back