First Time with Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2000

Reaction score
Hi Folks, trying to restart the hobby after my dad passed on over a year ago.

Whew boy I didn't realize how much prep and cleaning goes into this.

Well this Wednesday and Thursday I purchased 18 lugs of Cab Sauv, 5 Merlot, 3 Malbec for this years wine. Crushed all the grapes on Thursday and added yeast. 13 packets of Lalvin RC 212 according to the wine folks where I got the grapes.

I went there today to run my tests. I didn't do it yesterday because I was too damn tired.

Temp of Must: 60f
BRIX: 24
PH 3.9
ACID. First used TA kit and got a .5 something after calc. Then I used the PH Meter test and found it to be 5.25.

Question: Should I worry about the PH being a tad high and PH being a little low?

I also bought a 5 gal pail of chianti and my measurements were right on the money after fermenting a day and a half. Temp 60f, BRIX 20, TA Acid kit .65 and PH: 3.48.

Thanks for the help.

I would adjust with some tartaric acid. That will bring your pH down and the TA up. You want to go towards 3.5-3.6 before fermentation as fermentation will push the pH up. If you plan on doing MLF then that will slide pH up further and bring down the TA a bit as well.

You should add the acid ASAP but make sure you do your calculations twice, then add 1/2 and test again. You do NOT want to overshoot this as you get once chance and one chance only.

Thing is its already been a day since I added the yeast. So now it may not be feasible to add Tartaric Acid. BTW, where do I get this stuff? Local grocery in the baking section?

One thing that I am more concerned with is the temp of the must at 60f. Should it not be 70f to kick start the fermentation or should it be better to have more time with the must to ferment at 60f. I have a wood stove in the basement that I can start up if need be.

You can always adjust with tartaric, its just the sooner the better so it gets integrated more with the wine. Best place to pick some up is at your local home brew store. Do not get acid blend or malic, it needs to be pure tartaric acid. 60 is way to cold for a start, use a heating pad or something to get the temps up to 70-74 degrees. After a day or so you won't need it for a while until fermentation slows way down and it cools back down. Do you have yeast energizer ect. to feed along the way?

Ok on my way to get some Tartaric and going to light up the wood stove tonight.

I got about 65 gallons of juice which calls for about 8oz of Tartaric to get it from the .5 to the .6. Tonight I will only add 4oz and measure again in the am. Of course before I add anything I will retest. I have a Hanna PH meter so its pretty easy to test.

Ok only put about half the Tartaric needed and brought it down from ph 3.9 to 3.6. Its also really cooking at this point when I punched it down tonight. Down to 20 BRIX. Temp of must was about 66.

And that folks is why you only add half of what you think you need to begin with!

Ok only put about half the Tartaric needed and brought it down from ph 3.9 to 3.6. Its also really cooking at this point when I punched it down tonight. Down to 20 BRIX. Temp of must was about 66.

Last edited:
WOW down to BRIX of 14 cooking real nice at 72 degrees and PH now down to 3.48. So any day now.

Got another question. When I transfer to the carboys how much should I leave on top? 1 to 1-1/2 inch right? Use bung / airlock and put something like vodka or grain for the airlock liquid.

Cooking really nice!
319247_10150882401775111_768685110_21142801_1616448132_n.jpg

Thanks folks for the responses so far. I hope to be pressing in 2 days or so it seems as going by the BRIX measures. I am picking up a press tomorrow from a family friend. I envision a nice mess will entail.

So today just purchased some more goodies. 5 - 54liter demi-johns for MLB. Yikes this hobby is putting a dent in my wallet ;)
297375_10150884121185111_768685110_21158021_368074272_n.jpg

So another dilemma? To Malolactic Bacteria naturally or via Dry Malolactic Bacteria packets??? My dad used to do it naturally, I am also inclined to do so as well. What procedures besides racking after a day or so to remove gross lees should I perform?

It kinda of does. You have to pick the MLB that fits into your pH, ABV and SO2 levels. I have been using this one. $21 and it will inoculate up to 66 gallons.

I envision a nice mess will entail.

Mess? I had grape pieces on my light switch, the walls, the floor (of course), and about everything I touched. :d

Like Mike wrote, check that your ABV, SO2 levels, PH and temperature all agree with the MLB you choose.
If every one of these is pretty typical, that MLB will work OK. Just make sure.

Last edited:
How do I measure ABV and SO2 levels? Actually what ABV? Alcohol Level?

There are various test kits for SO2, some hard to read for red wines, some very expensive. This is a very nice test kit for home winemakers:
http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/18643/

Most LHBS sell the simpler, less expensive, harder to read kit.

ABV is Alcohol By Volume. Subtract final SG from the starting SG and multiply the results by 131. EX: (1.085 - .997) * 131 = 11.528% ABV

Hope that helps.

Yeah Boy!!! Tonight got a BRIX of 5%, PH 3.48, And according to vinometer a alcohol content of 13%. Must still cooking at 80f. Plan on pressing probably first thing in the am. I wait till it gets right down to zero BRIX right? Using Hydrometer btw.

You want to press around ~1.000 or about 8 days on the skins approx. Sounds like things are progressing nicely!

Latest posts

Back