First time using barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestar

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased three 59 gallon neutral barrels from a local winery. The barrels had just been emptied, cleaned and sulfur gassed. I am racking from carboys but have not had the time to do it for a month since I got the barrels. When I got the barrels one had a bung pop out as I was unloading and I got a strong dose of the sulfur gas. Now, though, after a month the gas smell is gone. The barrels still smell "sweet". My question is, should I wash them out again with a sulfur solution or is it safe to use as is? I would certainly prefer not having to wash them out. The cellarmaster told me not to worry about not filling them right away and that they would be fine empty for a while. Also, I had heard that by putting dry ice pellets in a barrel, CO2 will fill the barrel as the ice dissolves without leaving any residue and the oxygenation issue is lessened as the wine is racked into the barrel. Any thoughts?

I do not know how good the bungs are in your barrels, but be forwarned. Put some dry ice in a plastic soda bottle, add a little water, put the lid back on and get away from it. In a little bit, it will go off. You will see the bottle expand before the bang, tho. If you get enough dry ice in your barrel, you may have one heck of a bang. Be careful, Arne.

I wasn't planning to put the bung in, just wanted the CO2 gas to fill the barrel. Curious to know how high it would go though if I did get the bung good and snug. On second thought, I think I'll just burn a sulfur disk and call it good.

dry ice bomb

Now Arne how did you learn how to do this I learned in the packing house we use to do this just for the fun of scaring the pants of our coworkers

I do not know how good the bungs are in your barrels, but be forwarned. Put some dry ice in a plastic soda bottle, add a little water, put the lid back on and get away from it. In a little bit, it will go off. You will see the bottle expand before the bang, tho. If you get enough dry ice in your barrel, you may have one heck of a bang. Be careful, Arne.

Well Jack, It was kinda by accident. But do know for a fact, when the plastic stretches, the bottom of the bottle looses all its bumps, it is kinda past time to be gettin away from it. Arne.

I purchased three 59 gallon neutral barrels from a local winery. The barrels had just been emptied, cleaned and sulfur gassed. I am racking from carboys but have not had the time to do it for a month since I got the barrels. When I got the barrels one had a bung pop out as I was unloading and I got a strong dose of the sulfur gas. Now, though, after a month the gas smell is gone. The barrels still smell "sweet". My question is, should I wash them out again with a sulfur solution or is it safe to use as is? I would certainly prefer not having to wash them out. The cellarmaster told me not to worry about not filling them right away and that they would be fine empty for a while. Also, I had heard that by putting dry ice pellets in a barrel, CO2 will fill the barrel as the ice dissolves without leaving any residue and the oxygenation issue is lessened as the wine is racked into the barrel. Any thoughts?

The best thing is try to always keep wine in your barrels. If you cannot its OK as long as you burn a sulfur stick in it once every month and put bung back on. The sulfur gas keeps it protected but it won't help from the wood drying out. If more than 3 months I use water, K-meta and citric acid. Make sure you wash barrel once or twice prior to re-use. You can do a quick search for barrel care. Alot of web sites have them.

Yes, you need to know the in's and out's of barrel care. I have read that using sulfur sticks on a wet barrel under certain circumstances can cause sulfuric acid to form. It's preventable of course, if you are informed.

Latest posts

Back