First Taste Test - Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkwine

Junior
Reaction score
After adding two 1/4 teaspoons of K-Meta to a Wine Expert Elclipse series kit with grape skins, does anyone have a rule of thumb for how long they wait before trying their wine?

The only reason I ask is that I didn’t feel too good after trying a wine that was only 3 months old (with two 1/4 teaspoons of K Meta).

Will the sulfite levels even out after a period of time? Just curious if anyone has any advice or thoughts.

Is the wine bottled?

Not sure why you put 1/2 tsp, but it is not a crazy-high amount. Probably still below your detection limit, so you can go ahead and try when ready.

Yes, the wine is bottled. It was recommended to me to add a 1/4 teaspoon every time I rack transfer.

Ok, but how long between rackings? Rule of thumb is when bulk aging use 1/4 tsp every 3 months and rack if sediment is present.

To be honest, I am not bulk aging. I just followed the written instructions and each time I rack transferred, I added a 1/4 teaspoon.

Maybe that’s why it’s a little too strong.

Do you think the wine is salvageable?

I don't think you caused any great harm, but you will want to wait a bit longer than you might think before trying a bottle. If it were in a carboy, I would say wait about 3-5 months before doing anything else. Since it is bottled and the SO2 won't dissipate nearly as quickly, probably at least a year, maybe 18 months.

If you open it and splash decant it 3-5 hours prior to drinking, it might help.

Thanks thanks fellas - that’s what I was thinking. Decant for much longer periods of time and let these bottles sit for a couple of years.

Last question: If I am not bulk aging, is it necessary to add extra sulfite? This assumes I want to age the wine for 6-12 months.

Thanks guys!

Another question: Is anyone doing free sulfur dioxide testing? If so, is there a kit and pH meter that you recommend?

After adding two 1/4 teaspoons of K-Meta to a Wine Expert Elclipse series kit with grape skins, does anyone have a rule of thumb for how long they wait before trying their wine?

The only reason I ask is that I didn’t feel too good after trying a wine that was only 3 months old (with two 1/4 teaspoons of K Meta).

Will the sulfite levels even out after a period of time? Just curious if anyone has any advice or thoughts.

What do you mean by not feeling too good? Can you smell Sulphites in the wine when you pour it? If so as someone mentioned decanting for an hour will help immensley and aging in the bottle will definately help. You could open all the bottles again into a carboy and rebottle but that's probably not needed and I would not if it was my wine. I would just bottle age and decant before serving. At those levels and saying that you felt off its very unlikely due to the Sulphites unless you also avoid deli meats, most canned foods, fast foods, dried fruits, bacon which all contain far more levels of Sulphites. It's more than like the amines in the wine which illicit a histamine response in your body if you are sensitive to those.

Back