First Mozzarella

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trying to go from memory.....
Citric acid, cheese salt, rennet tablets, cheesecloth, a thermometer, Instructions.... I think thats it...:d

trying to go from memory.....
Citric acid, cheese salt, rennet tablets, cheesecloth, a thermometer, Instructions.... I think thats it...:d

Doug, did it come with culture as well? I don't remember if we boughtthe culture separate of if it came with the kit.

I am one who likes to know what I am talking about by doing :)... i did my first batch of Mozzarella on Saturday, Here are a few notes..

Rennet tablets, when you crush them, you loose about half ( I may use liquid rennet next time), and some recomendations are to up the amount of rennet if using store bought milk... so I used a 1/2 rennet tablet, things worked a little better.

After addinga 1/4 piece of rennet tablet and did the waiting time, the instructions said your curd should look something like custard....mine did not:po Looked more like cottage cheese floating in water, so I added another 1/4 of the rennet tablet. Did the re heat and wait... same thing... no fret, just strained it off and everything worked great.

When heating it up in the microwave to 135* to 140*... that stuff is hot, follow the directions and wear rubber gloves, the only ones we had were the wifes... way too small.... now typing with mild burnt hands... well not that bad but it was quite hot trying to streach it.

Streaching, it can be over done, mine got quite hard, not really sure if it was from over working or using a 1/2 rennet tablet for a 1 gallon batch.

Nice thing about the harder mozz. is it shreads very easy.

We did not add any salt... it needs it. Made four balls ( about 2 to 2-1/2 inches round )from the one batch, left two plain and added garlic salt and Itailan seasoning to the others and let them sit in the fridg overnite... they WERE great, sliced them up and on crackers.

Will I do it again...yup, and soon, this is the greatest.

Rennet tablets, when you crush them, you loose about half ( I may use liquid rennet next time), and some recomendations are to up the amount of rennet if using store bought milk... so I used a 1/2 rennet tablet, things worked a little better.

After addinga 1/4 piece of rennet tablet and did the waiting time, the instructions said your curd should look something like custard....mine did not:po Looked more like cottage cheese floating in water, so I added another 1/4 of the rennet tablet. Did the re heat and wait... same thing... no fret, just strained it off and everything worked great.

When heating it up in the microwave to 135* to 140*... that stuff is hot, follow the directions and wear rubber gloves, the only ones we had were the wifes... way too small.... now typing with mild burnt hands... well not that bad but it was quite hot trying to streach it.

I agree with the statement of the curd not looking stiff like custard. Ours was more like a watery custard then after heating and stirling a little it was exactly like floating custard. I considered adding a 1/2 tablet and also ordering some liquid rennet for future batches so that more than 1/4 tablet/tsp could easily be added until the correct amount was determined.

135* is very hot. I know what you mean about slighly burnt hands. I don't have rubber gloves. Only ones I have are nitril for EMS. Wasn't to bad.

I was hoping my batch Saturday would have been harder as we wanted to grate it for our stuffed shells. Stuck it in the freezer while preparing everything else and it was fine.

When to start

:tz i HAVE 6 WINES READY FOR THE BOTTLE VERY SOON ,BUT IMUST TRY CHEESE MAKING ITS SOUNDS VERY REWARDING AND i LIKE CHEESE,i'LL KEEP FOLLOWING THIS THREAD UNTIL THEN WITH IN THE NEXT MONTH FOR SURE...:db

I purchased the Ricci kit from Brew and Wine Supply. He's a sponsor of the forum.

I'll be making another batch of Mozzarella today. May make some pizza tomorrow.

Just ordered the cheese kit from Brew and Wine Supply. Looking forward to making it at the firehouse for pizza night!

would cheese salt be the same as canning salt?
Barb

You can use any salt in cheese with no iodine, cheese salt is expensive but you can substitute with pickling salt, canning salt, sea salt, kosher salt, etc.

I ordered the mozzarella making kit. I am very excited. It's not even here yet and I made my husband go and get milk. It should arrive today. Probably right before we have to leave for the wine tasting. Oh well, watch out tomorrow. :) !

Anyone have any photos of the process? I've been wanting to do this a while now.

Back