First kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flor1

Junior
Reaction score
Going to take the plunge Tuesday what brand of a kit would you recommended for a beginner have a mentor to work with me so that should help.
So many choices guess I'm looking for a little direction.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Flor1

I'm not a kitmaker, but I know the first thing they will ask is what kind of wine you prefer. Hard to make any recommendations without knowing that.

Pam in cinti

Flor1, welcome to the forum.

Regarding your question, there seem to be two schools of thought on the subject of "first kits." One is to buy a moderately priced kit to try first so that if it does not turn out, you are not our a bunch of money but if it does turn out you have a mediocre wine. The other is what I call "the Devil loves a coward" scenario where one throws caution to the wind and goes for a premium kit. The thinking here is it takes the same amount of work, equipment, time and a little more money, so you might as well end up with a great wine. I am very much in favor of the latter theory. I would suggest at least a 16 liter of juice kit (e.g. Cellar Craft Showcase, RJ Spagnols Winery Series, WinExpert Selection Estate Series or Eclipse Series) and one that has a grape pack would be a plus. Because you will have some help from your mentor, the risk is low and the reward is high. Good luck.

kit

First off let me welcome you to the site,
Second welcome to the world of wine making

Now Wife and i have done 4 kits and all have turned out wonderful. My advice is to be patient, the first one we did is now almost 9 months old and is much better than when we first bottled it.

Hi Flor1

I'm not a kitmaker, but I know the first thing they will ask is what kind of wine you prefer. Hard to make any recommendations without knowing that.

Pam in cinti
Leaning towards a Merlot but open to any and all ideas and Thank again

Welcome to the forum!

A selection from RJ Spagnols Veno del Vido line should, I think, meet both your taste and budget.

Well we did it went with a Grand Cru kit should be interesting.
Seems like we came home with a ton of stuff to say the least.
Will try and post updates as we progress.

flor1,

Welcome aboard! I might throw in to the conversation my first kit was a Island Mist (Kiwi-Pear Sauvignon Blanc). It's what I would call an in between kit. Easy to follow instructions and time table when to do everything and add the packets.

ksvet06

Welcome! Many to choose from I would go with WS super Tuscan or a WE kit. Many great choices out there

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

After you've done a few kits use the forum search engine to check out Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood. Won't be long before you then move onto juice buckets, then grapes and finally land to grow your own grapes.
smilie.gif

Flor1, welcome to the best forum on the internet!

Rocky, I have to disagree with you on this one. I believe if one starts with a less expensive kit (an early drinker), you will be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor while you make your 2nd kit. Your +16L kit. I personally would start off with a Winexpert VR Bergamais or a Pinot Noir for a red, then go to a RJS supper tuscan, on a Winexpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot.
Just my humble opinion :)

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I recommend the WE Island Mist kits as a first kit. They are cheap, so if you mess up, no big loss. They are early drinkers, and they taste pretty good (I think of them as a super wine cooler).

My tweaks to the IM series are: Add a few pounds of sugar to boost the alcohol level (Dissolve the sugar first in the water that you add to the kit); and add 1/2 of the F-Pack in right before you pitch the yeast (cut down on the sweetness; I might even add 2/3 to cut the sweetness even more).

Well got it started after reading directions about 10 times we decided to do it.
Actually went better then expected now seem to walk to kitchen to check every 15 minutes. Just have to learn to be patent not my strongest quality.

Reads like you're moving right along. A stumbling block for some new wine makers will be the degassing phase so be sure to follow your kit's directions and do no less than the instructions say. [More without going crazy might actually be better.]

Flor1, next thing you know you'll have about 6 or 7 carboys hanging around just sitting there full of wine tempting you! If you like Merlot and other dry wines the kits are a perfect place to start. I still make a Winexpert Kit now and then. I usually get the low end kits as well. Just follow the directions and all will turn out fine. Just remember, let the dry one age about a year. What I did was bottle the Chianti I started with and drank a bottle every so often taking note of the changes in flavor. The last bottle after 1 year was excellent! Aging really does round out the flavors so just be patient.

Back