First Dandelion Wine: Mistakes and Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppyniss

Junior
Reaction score
Hello! I've just recently gotten into making wines and I'm now in the process of learning about all of the chemicals, tests, equipment, etc needed to make a successful batch. My first batch, however, was created entirely on a whim, so I have a few questions.

Basically, I followed a recipe for dandelion wine that I found online. (Copy and pasted in for ease of access)

Ingredients:
2 qts dandelion flowers
2 lbs 11 ozs granulated sugar
4 oranges
1 gallon water
yeast and nutrient (didn't add a nutrient, and had to use bread yeast because there are no brewing stores nearby where I live)
(Added squeezed lemons, powdered ginger, and clove.)

Directions:
"Pour the boiling water over the flowers, cover with cloth, and leave to seep for two days. Do not exceed two days. Pour the mixture back into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the peelings from the four oranges (again, no white pith) and boil for ten minutes. Strain through a muslin cloth or bag onto acrock or plastic pail containing the sugar, stirring to dissolve. When cool, add the juice of the oranges, the yeast and yeast nutrient. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit fermentation trap, and allow to ferment completely. Rack and bottle when wine clears."

As you can see, this recipe does not call for campden tablets or anything, so as a complete beginner I did not think to add them. Currently, this batch is in a gallon-sized gatorade bottle with a balloon fitted over the top (with holes poked into it.) I tried to do this on the cheap although since this batch I have ordered the needed tablets, acids, yeasts, etc.

Do you think that this will end up being safe to drink (given the lack of campden tablets?) I wouldn't be devastated by any means if this batch ended up disastrously, however I would like to try to salvage it if possible.

Thanks so much for any input!

Hello! I've just recently gotten into making wines and I'm now in the process of learning about all of the chemicals, tests, equipment, etc needed to make a successful batch. My first batch, however, was created entirely on a whim, so I have a few questions.

Basically, I followed a recipe for dandelion wine that I found online. (Copy and pasted in for ease of access)

Ingredients:
2 qts dandelion flowers
2 lbs 11 ozs granulated sugar
4 oranges
1 gallon water
yeast and nutrient (didn't add a nutrient, and had to use bread yeast because there are no brewing stores nearby where I live)
(Added squeezed lemons, powdered ginger, and clove.)

Directions:
"Pour the boiling water over the flowers, cover with cloth, and leave to seep for two days. Do not exceed two days. Pour the mixture back into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the peelings from the four oranges (again, no white pith) and boil for ten minutes. Strain through a muslin cloth or bag onto acrock or plastic pail containing the sugar, stirring to dissolve. When cool, add the juice of the oranges, the yeast and yeast nutrient. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit fermentation trap, and allow to ferment completely. Rack and bottle when wine clears."

As you can see, this recipe does not call for campden tablets or anything, so as a complete beginner I did not think to add them. Currently, this batch is in a gallon-sized gatorade bottle with a balloon fitted over the top (with holes poked into it.) I tried to do this on the cheap although since this batch I have ordered the needed tablets, acids, yeasts, etc.

Do you think that this will end up being safe to drink (given the lack of campden tablets?) I wouldn't be devastated by any means if this batch ended up disastrously, however I would like to try to salvage it if possible.

Thanks so much for any input!

I won't comment on the recipe itself as I haven't done a dandilion wine. I will tell you you need to get it out of the plastic bottle, it will leach and leae it plastic tasting (personal experience). There are alot of traditional winemakers who don't use campden/k-meta. It should be safe to drink, but don't expect prime stuff. Dandilion takes a long time to mature, and you really should hit it with k-meta before bottling for that reason alone. Trust me get some carboys, bungs, airlocks, hydrometer, hydrometer test tube, and some tubing for racking at the very least. I don't use all the fancy equipment yet (funds won't allow)... but those make it way easier and you can get some quality results...
I know I'm missing alot (this is off the top of my head), but someone else can fill in the finer details...

Hi hppyniss,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Closetwine has given you some sound advice. If your interested in just doing gallon jugs for the monent, buy a bottle of Gallo wine, it comes in a 4 liter glass jug, drink it and now you have a carboy.

And yes you need to get some essentials, hydrometer is a total must so is airlocks.

You would probably be ok, can't say if it is going to taste good but it won't kill you. Adding camden, or k-meta initially kills off wild yeast. Understand you are going to have to let this wine sit for at least a year but should be longer.

If you are looking for a fast wine, you can buy a wine kit but you are going to need a bigger carboy. If you are not wanting to go this route, look in the recipe section for some juice concentrate recipes and try those.

Welcome to the forum Hppyniss! Good luck on your first wine making attempt. :i

Thank you all so much for your quick responses and input! I plan on heading out to the liquor store today when it opens to get a glass bottle for the dandelion wine. I was worried about the plastic affecting the taste in the end, so thank you for the warning!

I will keep you updated with the progress of both the dandelion wine and my future projects (I'm sure I'll have tons of questions along the way.)

Latest posts

Back