first competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless they're using professional wine judges, you'll need to take their comments with a grain of salt. I've gotten a score card with all zeros and a comment, "I've never really liked mullberry wine".
thierryRotten.gif

Other judges in the same competition provided more useful scores and comments though.

Lon thats pretty funny, kind of anyways. I just got back a score sheet that quoted "I really don't like sweet wines". This was ice wine! Go Figure.:gb

well, it's official!:)
i entered the peach, the blackberry, and the beaujolais!
5$ per entry. i must have been the first one to enter, because the restaraunt manager had to get the entry forms faxed to her! (she was very helpful and excited for me, lol) i also found out there are 8 judges. the judging is the 11th and awards the 18th. i promise to report back:b

That is one reason I dont enter much. Why the heck is thre someone judging an ice wine that doesnt like sweet wines!!!!!!

Yeah let us know the outcome - just remember - no matter what happens - if you like your wine - that is all the really matters ;)

i hope to enter the chardonel next year...how's ur's coming along?

Very good - just needs some more aging - but i am looking fwd to it... I will probably take a few bottles down to the winery for the next harvest - was going to give some to Ed and let you have some if you are going back down.

It's always nice to get unbiased appraisals of your wines. You never know if friends and family are telling you the full truth. But when your wines are judged, they'll be next to other wines and you'll get some honest input.

Unless they're using professional wine judges, you'll need to take their comments with a grain of salt. I've gotten a score card with all zeros and a comment, "I've never really liked mullberry wine".
thierryRotten.gif

Other judges in the same competition provided more useful scores and comments though.

I never seem to have that problem with family, my wife says with the money I've spent trying to make wine we could go to New York and buy some really good stuff. I try to explain they have been making wine a long time, I've been doing it for 8 months. I shouldn't have any great wines for a year or two :). The Bloomsburg Fair here in PA is planning on have a competition this year, my sister in law signed me up for a information packet. They told her they would mail the information out once they figured out if they could do it. I didn't think amateur wine making competitions were legal in PA, guess they will find out. I don't know if I would have anything by then, but I have a Blackberry/Elderberry that is starting to taste alright at 5 months.

Last edited:
Very good - just needs some more aging - but i am looking fwd to it... I will probably take a few bottles down to the winery for the next harvest - was going to give some to Ed and let you have some if you are going back down.

i am planning on it! i've GOT to get a press though!!!

:u
well, last night 3 friends from work and myself went to the restraunt and had a lovely dinner. the judging was in a back room. after we ate, we went and checked things out...i've never seen anything like it! glasses of wine everywhere! there were six judges at the table...two were taking wine from the bottle table to another small table to pour and then to the judges table. i met several members of the western kentucky winegrowers association and signed up to join! i met a nice gentleman from the next county that has 1800vines! i didn't even know there was that many grapes in western ky! i tried some of his chardonel and it was great!!! there were 75 entries and i recognized several names on the lists! the awards are next tues. and i am most looking forward to the judges comments.

Good Luck. I think you'll be surprised at how well you did!

thanks, dan. a large portion of the credit goes to the information and advice i receive here. i even felt, well, at least well informed if not down right knowledgable talking to people last night. i think when they realized i knew what backsweetening and brix were, i was gonna be an alright girl, rofl!
(i know i will have judging question, but i'll save that for a later and different thread:)

Good luck!! I think Dan is right - i know i am my own worst enemy when it comes to making wine.

just got an email...there were 71 entries....
there are 19 bronze, 15 silver, and 10 golds awarded...
results next tues. night...
i just want my cards to NOT say, "this is gross"....lol

just got an email...there were 71 entries....
there are 19 bronze, 15 silver, and 10 golds awarded...
results next tues. night...
i just want my cards to NOT say, "this is gross"....lol

not to worry, they're not that cruel. They'll just say something like "I never did like that color". LOL

ya'll hear screaming in kentucky!!???
the awards ceremony is next tues., but they sent an email tonight!!
i got a bronze for my blackberry AND my beaujolais!!!
i'm on cloud 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats to you I know you gotta be feeling pretty good

Congrats!! That is awesome - if there were some in the St. Louis area I would enter my Strawberry Peach..

Congrats again - you deserve it!!!

Back