First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's been 5 days since the addition of the pectic enzyme. No evidence of clearing yet. I'm giving it until Friday and then I'm adding another dose of sparkolloid. I hope I can salvage this batch.

Patience!

I've only done one batch. After I added the sparkolloid, it did nothing for almost a week. Then it started clearing nicely and was done in about five days.

I know I need patience, but I put the first dose of sparkolloid in a month ago and it's still cloudy. I put a dose of pectic enzyme in almost a week ago.

I know I need patience, but I put the first dose of sparkolloid in a month ago and it's still cloudy. I put a dose of pectic enzyme in almost a week ago.

Ooops. My bad. Thought the sparkolloid addition was more recent. I'm assuming you're certain that you've degassed completely.

You're fine. I wasn't trying to be hateful. It's hard to convey sentiment on here. Although, I am getting aggravated with my first batch. It isn't cooperating. I'm hoping the second dose will be the magic fix.

1+ on checking to make sure it is degassed good, sometimes they are difficult to get it all out

I'm with John on this one, Marc. Degas again before adding more sparkolloid. This one is being troublesome, though. Don't give up! At the last, you can just let it sit there until it clears on it's own...and it will...eventually. Once you get spoiled on them clearing quickly, it's so hard to wait.

Sounds good guys!!! I will rack it, degas again, and let it sit for another week before I add anything else. Just out of curiosity, how long will it take to clear naturally? 6 months? Racking every 2 weeks or so of course.

I really don't know, Marc. I haven't had a wine I couldn't (knock-knock) fix, so I've never had to let one clear on it's own. Don't fret. There's only so many things that could be giving you trouble. You'll figure it out!

Thanks Dave!! I just hope I know what it is that I figure out! Lol. I'm still learning the causes of wine problems.

Sounds good guys!!! I will rack it, degas again, and let it sit for another week before I add anything else. Just out of curiosity, how long will it take to clear naturally? 6 months? Racking every 2 weeks or so of course.
Marc, There is no need to rack it every two weeks! I usually have mine on a two month rotation. I think you need to get a few more carboys and start a few more batches so that if you feel it necessary to play with your wine you can choose the oldest one.
I understand what you are going through. When I first started wine making I kept a diary in my computer that detailed what I was doing and what my thoughts were. I kept it up for probably 6 months during that time I went from my first winemaking kit to either 10 or 12 carboys.
I no longer keep the diary and now have 35 or so carboys going. It is fun to go back and read my comments and concerns and realize that Patience is the primary ingrediant in all wines!

Thanks pj. I beginning to think I know where I screwed up. When I added the sparkolloid, I didn't heat it for the recommended amount of time. It only to dissolve in hot water and, since we have hell water at my house, I just used that. I believe all the sparkolloid just sank when I added it and stirred.

Still cloudy!!! :'( Guess ill try another dose of sparkolloid tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll let it clear on its own.

Still cloudy!!! :'( Guess ill try another dose of sparkolloid tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll let it clear on its own.
It might need more pectic enzyme. I had the same problem and had to add a second dose after racking.

You can easily test for this by mixing 4 parts rubbing alcohol 1 part wine sample. Let it sit for a while and then see if there's any stringy clumps.

Thanks Nate!! If this doesn't work, I'll try that. I just added a second dose of sparkolloid. I'm going to give that at least a week before I try something else.

Well, I think I know why my first batch didn't clear. I didn't heat the sparkolloid up correctly. I added another dose yesterday following the directions properly. This is what I wake up to today.

image-4219314782.jpg

In a week, I'll back sweeten!!! Then another week later, it will be bottled!!! :D

Latest posts

Back