first batch noob question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I shouldnt piggy back on this post, but I too am on my first batch of pee. I notice hundreds of post about degassing, but am having trouble finding a timeline.
Im in carboyafter 1 week of primary fermenting and started at 1.01 now down to .996 or so. Been there for 4 days and airlock is every 4 minutes so were all but done fermenting.
Can I go ahead degas kmeta sorbate and spark without reracking? In that order or degas at the end? How long to wait until sweetening?

I'm finding varrying answers throughout these threads...so I'm very sorry if this seems repetitive!
Maybe I'm thinking too hard?

Rack first so you don't sturr up the lees

Then stabilize and sparkaloid and degass heavily

Maybe I shouldnt piggy back on this post, but I too am on my first batch of pee. I notice hundreds of post about degassing, but am having trouble finding a timeline.
Im in carboyafter 1 week of primary fermenting and started at 1.01 now down to .996 or so. Been there for 4 days and airlock is every 4 minutes so were all but done fermenting.
Can I go ahead degas kmeta sorbate and spark without reracking? In that order or degas at the end? How long to wait until sweetening?

I'm finding varrying answers throughout these threads...so I'm very sorry if this seems repetitive!
Maybe I'm thinking too hard?

Kmeta and Sparklloid first. It is always best to get your wine clear before adding sorbate so there aren't any rogue yeasties floating around. After adding sorbate, you can backsweeten.

we degassed it what I felt was adequate. ran drill for a second or so, stop, reverse, on and off for about 10 mins until no new bubbles were coming out of solution.

tbohling: if she's all done rack it off the lees at the bottom into another container, Kmeta/sorbate it and degass then added sparklloid is how I did it.

Took a taste, tastes watered down, may have added too much water in the initial steps. still has yeasty aftertaste. top is clear but not all the way yet.

Uh oh....
So I have a food saver. Thought I'd give it a shot.

Somehow I'm pulling what looks to be "solid sparkaloid" off the bottom and to the top of the carboy. Getting a few bubbles, but I'm a bit concerned of how much "junk" I'm making float. I racked off the lees once already because I did start with a Rhubarb wine slurry...Put sparkaloid in 20 hours ago just a few minutes after the kmeta.

uh oh. from my understanding sparkloid is pretty easy to get back into the mix. sounds like you're going to either filter it out or let it make lees again and clear out.

Let it sit and clear then rack again and degass if needed

I let mine sit for a full week after the sparkaloid then rack off all the lees

Latest posts

Back