First Batch ever!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome to WMT
you will find that wine is very tolerant, lots of the differences show up with age, ,,, is it a one year shelf life or a five?
I didnt see anything on the kit about shelf life my intention was 5 years but maybe i should drink it sooner now?

24 hrs in no bubbling probably ruined it

I think it will be alright. During the primary fermentation, the main goal is to keep fruit flies, etc. out. I don't snap down the lid on my primary most of the time. Any signs of fermentation now?

Not sure if you can open the thumb nail not the greatest pic its and ABC wine kit medium boddied cabernet savignon

I've seen these, but have not tried one yet. You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes!

Welcome to WMT!

Kits are designed to be made quickly and then ready for drinking. ,,, It is worth while to keep at least one to learn about aging, all foods have a shelf life even army MREs. :ts
I didnt see anything on the kit about shelf life my intention was 5 years but maybe i should drink it sooner now?

I think that ABC kit is the old Fontana kit series. I make the Cab Sav but add a cup of French oak, a cup of Zante currants, sugar (5 cups in a quart of water) and only enough water to get five gallons as opposed to six. It is a family and friend's favorite.

I think it will be alright. During the primary fermentation, the main goal is to keep fruit flies, etc. out. I don't snap down the lid on my primary most of the time. Any signs of fermentation now?

I've seen these, but have not tried one yet. You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes!

yes an hour later bubbles!!!! I need to buy a wine theif, i used the racking cane and my thumb when i teated the starting gravity but it took forever🙃

by the time im done this batch everyone on here will be so sick of me ill have to find another wine forum 😂. Will be updating as I go! Following this first batch by the book so now I wait. 13 Days

Welcome to WMT!

I think that ABC kit is the old Fontana kit series. I make the Cab Sav but add a cup of French oak, a cup of Zante currants, sugar (5 cups in a quart of water) and only enough water to get five gallons as opposed to six. It is a family and friend's favorite.
I cant wait to get to this point of custom wine making. i feel like a child learning to walk 🤓 I really want to have a drinkable wine from a couple kits so I can see (and taste) the fruits of my labour

Do you bump up the yeast for the extra sugar or does the kit come with enough?

Kits are designed to be made quickly and then ready for drinking. ,,, It is worth while to keep at least one to learn about aging, all foods have a shelf life even army MREs. :ts
Do you know any “kit tricks” to bumping up the agability to five - ten years? Or is it a matter of buying actual grapes at that point?

Usually the yeast in the kit is EC1118 which will go to 18% alcohol. My SG is usually 1.098 to 1.120; not too high for EC1118. As someone said it will ferment a rock.
Not much to customize the kits. Look at the thread Tweaking Cheap Kits.

@The green Dragon, YOU are why I spend time in the beginner forum. As much as I enjoy talking to experienced wine makers, the exuberance of beginners is invigorating!

First advice: take a deep breath and relax. Winemaking is an exercise in patience. Sure, the first few weeks are very exciting!!! After that? It's a lot like watching the grass grow. Only less exciting.

Second? After fermentation, oxygen is your enemy. But it's a slow enemy - a day without water in the airlock is not a problem. Several weeks or even months? This is a different story.

Third? Taste your wine!

I taste my wines at every racking. People will tell you to not open a bottle before a year -- they are wrong. Open a bottle every 3 months. Write down what you smell, taste, and experience. Compare your notes. Educate yourself why you should let wines age. Nothing is better than practical experience.

Fourth? Don't worry about shelf life. Your first batch won't last long enough to go bad.

Welcome to WMT!

Third? Taste your wine!

I taste my wines at every racking. People will tell you to not open a bottle before a year -- they are wrong. Open a bottle every 3 months. Write down what you smell, taste, and experience. Compare your notes. Educate yourself why you should let wines age. Nothing is better than practical experience.
Amen. Taste every step of the way; as much as every day during primary. Taste at least at every racking; I taste at least once a month during aging. I get an idea of how it is developing and can see the clarity in a glass - extremely useful if aging in barrels or kegs.
Your taste buds and nose are the most useful wine cellar instruments. A lot of the guys (sorry to be sexist) like to play with the testing instruments (perfectly valid) but it all comes down to smell and taste. No one at your party or barbeque cares about pH or TA, just taste.

It's honestly funny -- when friends visit and I pull a barrel sample, they get all excited, kind of like it's an honor. Even my sons, who have been helping me make wine for over a decade -- they get excited over tastings.

Ok, when I pull a barrel sample, I'm showing off. That doesn't mean the friends & family tasting the wine don't appreciate it, and for them, it is exciting!

Remember that wine making is fun! We take a raw, natural product (ok, for kits this is stretching the truth a bit, but bear with me) and produce something amazing.

Your taste buds and nose are the most useful wine cellar instruments.
Two years ago my son and I sweetened a metheglin prior to bottling. We added sugar, stirred well, and tasted, discussing after each tasting. We repeated this several times, and when I decided we were good, I asked him what he thought.

"Needs a bit more."

"Just a bit more?"

"Yeah. Not much."

"We are stopping here."

"Why?"

"Because it will develop in the bottle and more sugar will be too much."

A year later we popped a cork and he agreed, the metheglin was spot on. Just a hint of sweetness that emphasized the spice notes. Would more sugar have been better worse? I have no idea -- all I can say is that we produced a very satisfactory result.

This knowledge doesn't come from a book or a video. Experience is the only real teacher.

Back