First batch nerves

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwerth

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day WMT folks!
I had been originally planning on starting in on my first ever batch of wine about six months ago. However, life can get in the way, as we all know. However, life has finally settled down, and I am about to start down this winemaking road. Nothing fancy, just starting with a kit wine (WE California Chardonnay). For this first foray, I will just follow the instructions. I have been reading this forum heavily for the past few months, and am looking forward to my new hobby.

Dwerth
1.086 SG

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I followed the instructions for the kit and began the process. I can already see a bunch of places where I can make simple workflow improvements, or where if I have X piece of hardware it would make things much easier.
I may also need to go look at getting another gallon jug...or two...

You'll do just fine.

And that's the problem. Then you start buying all the stuff to improve work flow. And fruit. And chemicals that you didn't know you needed. And lab equipment. And glass ware. And stainless. And then things that have motors on them.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!
If I start building buildings and buying land for it, then I know I have a problem...

Whatever you do, don't get your carboys wet. They multiply after that happens!!! I started with one and now I have 35.
35 carboys??? That's almost a piecemeal variety of commercial production. I thought I was bad - started with one, now have 9 carboys, a couple of gallon jugs and a 10 gallon fermenter.
BTW congratulations! I have a new goal now:tz

Back