Finishing Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartkate

Junior
Reaction score
I’m trying to finish my homemade Peach wine. I bought Dualfine to clarify it and some Amoretti natural peach flavor to sweeten and boost flavor because it’s extremely dry to me. It measures .998. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Btw: I have about 8 gallons

Couple things. Peach is notoriously high in pectin and can be tough to clear, use pectic enzyme liberally to break the pectin down and you’ll have a much better time at it. You really can’t overdose with it unless you do something crazy.
Make sure to use potassium sorbate prior to adding anything with sugar in it or your batch will start fermenting the newly introduced sugar.

I finally have a peach that I’m happy with. I bottled dry and back sweetened with each bottle (1 gallon batch). I did a bench test to determine amount to back sweeten.

I'll second johnd's comments. I am about ready to bottle a batch of peach wine that I started a year ago this past July. - Yes, it takes a while to clear and even if you hit it with pectic enzyme, bentonite and/or a few other things to clear it.... it will take as long as it takes to clear. You might have it clear in 6-7 months or it might take 16-18 months. Best bet is to start another batch of it as soon as possible so you can do some comparison as they age.

I bottled peach last year after filtering with a Bon vino #3 pads, Fairly clear but after a month in the bottle more pectin came out, ,,,, so I wish I wasn’t anxious to enter it at contest.
As noted extra pectase helps, especially since you are alcoholic now and the enzyme reaction rate has decreased.

Mine was sweetened to 1.015 which was magical it smelled ripe, at lower levels it reminded me of green store peaches. ,,,, With a years age on it I didn’t bother with K sorbate, usually my yeast aren’t an issue at a year age.

Back