finished to dry in 4 days? now what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi44089

Reaction score
I have made several batches of wine from concentrate with great results. This batch is a bit different, as was my technique. It was a 3 gallon batch of white wine from welches, standard 3 cans to make a gallon. Montrachet yeast and a starting sg of 1.087.. Started it 4 days ago in primary with my heater on it at 75 degrees f. It is now dry at .993-.994 . I transfered it to a secondary and vacuum degassed. Added the airlock and all is still, no bubbles, nothing. Should I go ahead and stabilize? This is the first time I have had one finish to dry in the primary "which was my intent". It was also the first time I heated my primary to 75f. Any thoughts on my next action? Thanks

Rack, degass, stabilize, clear, filter, bottle, label, wait, wait, enjoy. Testing is of course assumed along the way.

Rack, degass, stabilize, clear, filter, bottle, label, wait, wait, enjoy. Testing is of course assumed along the way.
Rob,
sounds like what you say is kinda like my 3 "P's"

Patience
Patience
Patience

It still has a lot of "settling" to do. You may see a bubble now and then from gas being released, but you've made WINE!! WOO HOO

I wouldn't think you need to put "heat" on it now. Sometimes a longer, cooler ferment will give you more flavor. Get it started, then turn the heat off and let it take its time.

Debbie

Many of my wines go as low as .990

I would wait a bit like the lothers suggested. A few days is sufficient.
Wait at least till its cleared.

Luc

I will give it more time to see if it drops more. No big hurry. I think I will use less or no heat next time, or maybe just the first day. Seems like all my other batches did just fine once the took off at a temp of 67f. Its actually starting to clear, and I added no clarifier. Seems the added heat made it run a bit too fast. I am used to about 5 days in the primary just to get down to 1.010, then another week in the secondary to get to dry. This is some high speed wine:spm

Back