Finished chocolate salted caramel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
I finished my chocolate salted caramel port style wine today. It finished a little early at 1.003 before the fpac but with the addition of 1125ml of 190 proof Everclear I think the alcohol helps balance the sweetness. The chocolate and slightly salted flavor really come through.

This one ranks up there close to the coffee port.

I'm in primary right now with this kit. I'm planning on using E&J to boost. Everclear sounds strong, how does it work? Are you aging it?

It takes much less of the Everclear to reach the desired abv than it does brandy and because it is a neutral tasting spirit I believe it changes the taste less. I have used both in the past and prefer the Everclear, you may not. I was a little disappointed the yeast pooped out at 1.003 but overall it turned out really nice.

Sounds good thing. On my 3rd coffee Port ready to bottle The. First of the year.

Yes Joe the coffee port is a favorite. I have made it twice and when I get low on inventory I will make it again, if it is still being offered.

Tasted it yesterday this one is ready for adding the coffee beans 3per bottle, done, thig would like to exchange with you I have a blackberry Port sitting should be ready for tasting by March, interested.

Sure thing Joe, you talking about the chocolate salted caramel? I plan to bottle in a couple months. It is in the carboy now aging a little although I really don't think it is necessary with this one.

I did a double batch (2 x 3gals) a while back and was quite pleased with it. Didn't add any alcohol to it. My wife took one taste and said "order two more, we're gonna need to replace this when we give it as Christmas gifts". Just bottled batch 2 about a month ago, it's been a real hit with our family and friends.

Johnd, I probably didn't need to add the add the alcohol but I wanted to be close to the abv of a true port, around 20%. To be honest I also like a little burn, I love bourbon and look forward to a nice pour.

Thig ,yes just a 375 bottle to taste when ever you are ready. Thanks

I did the brandy on a chocolate/cherry last year. I've been eyeballing this kit and think I'll try the everclear this time.

Last edited:
It takes much less of the Everclear to reach the desired abv than it does brandy and because it is a neutral tasting spirit I believe it changes the taste less. I have used both in the past and prefer the Everclear, you may not. I was a little disappointed the yeast pooped out at 1.003 but overall it turned out really nice.

I had that issue with the Chocolate Raspberry. The Salted Caramel actually ran straight and true right down the line and cleared nicely. I'm gonna rack and infuse tomorrow and put it into bulk for 6 months. Tastes great but not as much salted caramel as I would have liked.

I finished my chocolate salted caramel port style wine today. It finished a little early at 1.003 before the fpac but with the addition of 1125ml of 190 proof Everclear I think the alcohol helps balance the sweetness. The chocolate and slightly salted flavor really come through.

This one ranks up there close to the coffee port.

Just curious how much that is in quarts or more straight forward, how many bottles?

We started this kit last year, added the finings then put it to bed for a bit.

We tasted it a couple of nights ago. Holy smokes, you guys this stuff is dangerous!

I'm going to have to give this one a try. It has all the right words, chocolate, salt, caramel, port, dangerous.

It is really, really wonderful. It may be just a tad too sweet for us. I'm thinking of putting it to bed on a little bit of oak and some Everclear just to temper the sweetness a bit.

Hey fellas, may I ask what brands of kits you guys are using here and where to find them for the coffee port and the salted caramel port? They sound great! Would love to give them a shot!

Back