Adding coffee to a caramel port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I ordered 2 caramel port kits, and one of them I plan to add a coffee extract too. I plan to make the coffee extract with very high proof clear alcohol (rum, vodka or everclear) and freshly ground coffee. My question is, how much coffee extract should I make, and what proportions of alcohol and coffee?

I plan to do bench trials do get the final mixture of coffee extract and port figured out. I just don't want to come up short on the day I plan to bottle.

After following some of the posts on here on the RJS Ports, I added a single coffee bean to a few 375ml bottles, some on their own, some with a few cacao nibs to give it some chocolate flavour. I have yet to taste this on the Caramel port since adding them back in March, but I did try a bottle of the RJS Chocolate Orange Port that I did the same thing to and the coffee flavour was definitely there after about two months. I plan to make the Coffee Port since the results of this were so good.

So far, I achieved good results with just the beans, but extract might be a bit more controllable as far as the how much coffee flavouring your after. I'm going to hang on to a couple of bottles of the Caramel port to see how much additional flavour the bean imparted after year one and two.

I can't imagine you you need a lot of coffee grounds. I did make orange-coffee extract once with about 20 beans stuffed into whole orange (from a modified French recipe called Quarante-quatre,which actually requires 44 beans) and let it sit in a vodka and sugar mixture for two weeks and the coffee flavour came out pretty strong here as well.

Last edited:
I like your thinking. I've been considering doing both the coffee and caramel ports, then blending. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I was planning on mixing the coffee and caramel at one point, but then thought I'd rather try each of them as-is and have some fun with another caramel kit. Afterwards I'm sure we'll try every combination of the 3 we can think of.

Latest posts

Back