Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which red FW kit do you think would be best to make with no skins. Just want something to drink sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
Yeah agree on Pinot Noir as the best early one. Others that could do without skins (and without oak) and be good early drinkers: Barbera, Sangiovese, and Zinfandel (all of which can also be made with skins and oak, but work as a quick drinkers too, I think). Wish they had a Grenache, which would also fit.

I just bought a Zinfandel and a Petit Syrah both with single grape packs with the thought of using a little of the PS to blend with the Zin. I saw where that's a somewhat common blend so thought I'd give it a try. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy 2 kits! :)

That is a very common blend.@ceeaton and I did a 50-50 once. Came out pretty decent. PS does take some time to mature though.

I haven't been able to get the wines below a SG of 0.996
I have records on 46 kits I've made -- of that list, 74% finished with an SG of 0.996 or less. Most of the others were at 0.998, with only 2 at 1.001.

The FG is affected by a lot of factors, including ABV. I reviewed my list and didn't spot any obvious trends in grape color, etc. The subject is more complex than is obvious.

In any case, if you're getting FGs of 0.998, don't worry about it if all other factors (especially smell & taste) are good.

I'm looking towards my next FW Kit and will most likely choose a Super Tuscan. Seeing the Barbera on the list however caused me to look it up and find out more about it. The description from Wine Folly sounds pretty good. Has anyone done one of these kits from FW?

I'm looking towards my next FW Kit and will most likely choose a Super Tuscan. Seeing the Barbera on the list however caused me to look it up and find out more about it. The description from Wine Folly sounds pretty good. Has anyone done one of these kits from FW?

The barbera is new enough that I doubt anyone has one that is completed.

Anyone adding oak spirals or cubes to the FW reds? I have a Merlot that's ready for aging and I was thinking about tossing an American oak spiral in the carboy.
I added the cubes that came with the Zin to ours, and I'll likely add more at the next racking and possibly the next two if it's not where I like it. Did the Merlot come with any oak? If not, I'd definitely add the spiral.

I added the cubes that came with the Zin to ours, and I'll likely add more at the next racking and possibly the next two if it's not where I like it. Did the Merlot come with any oak? If not, I'd definitely add the spiral.
It came with oak powder or chips as I recall - nothing that would add any flavor.

Anyone adding oak spirals or cubes to the FW reds? I have a Merlot that's ready for aging and I was thinking about tossing an American oak spiral in the carboy.

I have this in my FW Sangiovese right now: An easy way to oak - Next Level Oak

I insert a short tube with a Vacu-vin valve attached in place of a fermentation lock so I can degas the wine while it's oaking. The use of a Vacu-vin for degassing has been discussed here before.

Last edited:

All of the FW red kits come with 45g of oak cubes - just enough for a hint of flavor. I added a spiral of French medium plus toast oak to each of my FW kits so far (Cab, Merlot, and PS) because I like the more pronounced coffee, vanilla and campfire flavors.

Just sampled the cab and the merlot when I racked them yesterday. Love the nose and flavor of these kits. Sampled them next to my WE kits (I have a SLD Merlot, Nebbiolo and a Bordeaux blend that are about ready for botting) and I prefer the FW at this point. We'll see what happens in a year.

Racking the FW wines off the fine lees and oak. The lees were really thick, viscous and compacted. The wines are clear. But I might run them through the filter just for good measure before I bottle.

I also ordered a Barbara. Never had one. So, it's time.

All of the FW red kits come with 45g of oak cubes - just enough for a hint of flavor. I added a spiral of French medium plus toast oak to each of my FW kits so far (Cab, Merlot, and PS) because I like the more pronounced coffee, vanilla and campfire flavors.

Just sampled the cab and the merlot when I racked them yesterday. Love the nose and flavor of these kits. Sampled them next to my WE kits (I have a SLD Merlot, Nebbiolo and a Bordeaux blend that are about ready for botting) and I prefer the FW at this point. We'll see what happens in a year.

Racking the FW wines off the fine lees and oak. The lees were really thick, viscous and compacted. The wines are clear. But I might run them through the filter just for good measure before I bottle.

I also ordered a Barbara. Never had one. So, it's time.

As I understand it, only those reds that you order with 2 skin packs come with oak cubes. My Merlot kit w/1 skin pack came with some oak chips, but no cubes. I've ordered some medium toast American oak spirals to give those try.

I was met at the door yesterday with a surprise. So, I kicked off the Barbara this morning. It was a lovely 73* in the fermenter, with an SG of 1.100, when I dropped the RC-212 into the must. I ordered the double skins and it came with some oak chips and cubes. I will likely do the same with this that I've done with the others - adding a spiral of French medium+ toast oak in the finish.

Just put together FW Petite Syrah and my must temp is in the low 70’s. Can I pitch yeast starter I mixed up before 18-24 hours they suggest as long as I see some foaming or is there something in the starter blend that needs that time to work first? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back