Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Super Tuscan kit on Wednesday, I was a bit behind the others due to being out of town during the shopping period and one of the reasons I really love doing business with Labelpeelers. I sent them an email saying, I'll be out of town during a time period. Do you think you'll ship during that time period and I'll have someone stop by and put it into my fridge. They said no problem, let us know when you are back and we will ship then. That's customer service.

Back to the kit, I was glad I had read about the arrow and warnings about it. I didn't have any problems removing it. Loved the spout in the corner, rather than the center of the bag. Mixed it all up, grapeskins in without bagging, planning a for or six week extended maceration period. Wife suggested we order one to make straight by the directions (how can I say no).
Did you see my post that they have whites now too? $72 + shipping is a good deal compared to $165 + shipping for a Winexpert Private reserve.

just curious, I have never used any bags for the skins, why not just let them free float?
I did that the very first wine kit I made. Fermented it in an 8 gal Fast Ferment conical. It was quite a chore when it came time to transfer to a carboy. The wine turned to be very good but I will not do that again. I use 10 gallon Brute food grade buckets now and had a guy who makes brew-in-a-bag bags for beer brewing make me custom bags for them. Works pretty well, lets the skins soak more or less unencumbered and when its time to transfer I can squeeze the heck out of the bag of skins. It is very tough material, surprisingly tough considering how thin it is.

Ready to do a second racking on the sanginvese then I'll add the finishing touches. Wait 2 weeks then bottle.

I found the article from Mid-West Supplies I must have had stuck in my head about bentonite, the link is here. It talks about the difference in charge of substances and how bentonite clears them. The author also indicates bentonite, to a small extent when added up front, is a site for yeast to bind to and then bud from.

I’m curious about how everyone’s Label Peeler kits are clearing or where you are in the process. It has been three weeks on my Zinfandel and it still looks like mulberry mash with maybe a little clearing at the top.

I found the article from Mid-West Supplies I must have had stuck in my head about bentonite, the link is here. It talks about the difference in charge of substances and how bentonite clears them. The author also indicates bentonite, to a small extent when added up front, is a site for yeast to bind to and then bud from.

I’m curious about how everyone’s Label Peeler kits are clearing or where you are in the process. It has been three weeks on my Zinfandel and it still looks like mulberry mash with maybe a little clearing at the top.
Zin is on day 12 of EM. Plan to skip the fish goo as usual, and let gravity and multiple rackings during bulk aging do the clearing.

A lot of good discussion here on purchasing and fermenting the Finer Wine kits. Does anyone have any thoughts on the finished product - vs. other “high end” wine kits that are available? Thanks!!

Mine has not been bottled yet, heck hasn't even finished fermenting. But the initial taste test when I put it under airlock was absolutely the best kit wine I have ever tasted, no other way to describe it.
That's exciting! I haven't tasted yet but the smell and the look of the juice and the skins is delicious beyond other kits.

My two are still doing extended maceration, planning two weeks, I think.

I've been thinking of the Finer Wine Kit whites, and wondering if they're a better alternative to the fresh Chilean buckets since the buckets have been out-of-balance according to some folks. With the white kits being already balanced they may be a better way to go. $72 + shipping is good because it comes with yeast and chemicals, even better than the Australian stuff that was $75+shipping for 5 gallons and I still needed yeast and chemicals.

Yes and no, I did my MLF for four weeks, then rerack, added the chems and let it set for another 2 weeks , then I'll bottle when I'm ready.
No findings yet, we'll see 😏

I'm doing a Cab and a Merlot. Punched down grape skin bags per instructions in both. Snapped down lids and waited for day 14. Cab bags wound up on the bottom. Merlot bags were still floating. Anybody find the same? And does it even matter?

I’m also 14 days into EM with Super Tuscan (ST) and Cab. Both still have the bags floating at the top of the Big Mouth Bubbler (BMB), so I’ve been “sloshing“ them both every other day To keep wet. Yesterday I broke down and punched down both bags in both ST & Cab, then topped off with gas before resetting the airlocks. I just didn’t want to risk skins molding. I’ve been expecting the skin bags to drop, but they haven’t yet. Anyone else seeing this too?

I’m also 14 days into EM with Super Tuscan (ST) and Cab. Both still have the bags floating at the top of the Big Mouth Bubbler (BMB), so I’ve been “sloshing“ them both every other day To keep wet. Yesterday I broke down and punched down both bags in both ST & Cab, then topped off with gas before resetting the airlocks. I just didn’t want to risk skins molding. I’ve been expecting the skin bags to drop, but they haven’t yet. Anyone else seeing this too?

Skin bag in my Merlot floated through day 12 and then sunk to the bottom. I had virtually no foam when I degassed.

Zin is on day 12 of EM. Plan to skip the fish goo as usual, and let gravity and multiple rackings during bulk aging do the clearing.
I am interested in the EM. You are referring to extended maceration, correct? What is your method and temperature that you use for the EM?

I am interested in the EM. You are referring to extended maceration, correct? What is your method and temperature that you use for the EM?
Correct. I use a Speidel fermenter, cloth over the top during active ferment, then airlock for a few more weeks, around a month total. Room temperature for the duration is usually between 68-72 as it's in the basement. Obviously the juice gets a bit warmer than that during active fermentation.

Correct. I use a Speidel fermenter, cloth over the top during active ferment, then airlock for a few more weeks, around a month total. Room temperature for the duration is usually between 68-72 as it's in the basement. Obviously the juice gets a bit warmer than that during active fermentation.
What's the benefit of No airlock right from the git-go?

What's the benefit of No airlock right from the git-go?
Not OP but the cloth keeps anything from falling in, but allows for oxygen to get in, which the yeast needs during active fermentation. The airlock does not allow oxygen which makes it harder on the yeast.

For me personally, I also find the cloth way more easy to open and close during active fermentation when I am doing punch downs on the skins and/or fruit packs, and also keeping a close eye on the hydrometer and thermometer. Also, as a beer brewer originally, I have seen way too many airlocks filled with foam from active ferments, so the cloth is just safer, although foam overs seem way less common in wine making.

Latest posts

Back