Finaly some vine growth

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigham

Reaction score
smiley32.gif
Boy Am I happy I pruned my concorde more than ever this year and everything seems to bestarting two weeks later than last year. I was beginning to worry if I had pruned too much and finished off the oldvine, Bit as you can see below glorious growth!!
smiley1.gif
20070613_202736_100_5485Small.JPG

20070613_202827_100_5484Small.JPG

20070613_202921_100_5482Small.JPG
Edited by: Trigham

Looking good Trig....What kind of yield will you get off those vines?

Waldo said:
Looking good Trig....What kind of yield will you get off those vines?

Thanks Waldo, it is what started me off on this great hobbie, The first fall there were about 20 lbs of beautiful grapes yielded from the vine .The vine itself is about 30 years old and the trunk is aboutten inchesround. it comes up and goes out in four branches on wire like a double T if you understand me lol.last year I trimmed and pruned it andI got about 50 lbs of grapes off it. Im not sure exactly whatI did in pruning to be honest, but the neighbors told me it was never trimmed to look so good in the past so whatever I did made it produce. But this year I cut it way back and was to be honest hopingI didnt kill it,cause it was so slow coming,so I am happy it started lol. The question I would ask is when shoud i start to trim it up and how do i get the sprouts to grow the way i want across the wire. Or should i just let them go on their own and figure it out after they get longer??Edited by: Trigham

Trig you have plenty of canes left on it for now. Let it grow and bear. Remember that it bears on shoots that grow of last years wood. You have a well established trunk. Grow your canes for next year off that. Try to leave the center trunk and if it works for you, next year select four canes that grew this year. Prune out the rest and tie those 4 canes to the wires. Leave them all about 15-20 buds long and cut off beyond that. It's hard to describe.

If I remeber correctly, it is a Concord - they break buds late which is why it is starting late this year. It will catch up in no time.

Trig, I recommend a book called "From Vines to Wine" that was given to me for Christmas. It didn't have much for a kit maker like me, but there is a lot of really good information on generating yield and pruning.
Edited by: PeterZ

Thanks guys , ill look for that book peter. I will take your advice and let it grow untill its ong enought to train to run across the wires. I am envious of the orchards some if theforum members are planting. I hope i can get to add some more in the future!!

Latest posts

Back