Finally some freebies.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
Stopped at a local bar to meet a friend for a cold one and happened to ask the bartender about wine bottles because there were some half full ones he was pouring out of near me. Told him what I was looking for and why and before I could turn around he pulled out a box and filled it with brown, green and amber empties. Was so easy I will be visiting other establishments looking for more. The wine gods are watching over me.

Good for you! I'm about ready to give up on the freebies I've been getting unless someone has some great advice on an easier way to clean the darn labels off! :p

Really hot water, and a scotchbrite pad. I use a little goo-gone for any residual glue. Usually takes it right off, but i have tossed a couple

Oven set at 300 and let them sit for about as minute or two. After that they peel off easy after starting with a razor.

I usually take a knife and scrape them off first like I am de-barking a tree branch for a hot dog stick. This seems to work best but I have also let them soak in one step overnight and find some labels float off but most need to be scraped and then I use goo be gone for the glue. I'll take every freebie I can get so I don't need to worry about getting the bottles back when I gift some wine out.

Use window scraper to remove label.
Spray glue with De-Solv-it (Ace Hardware); rub it around well; let set for several hours.
Later, use Scotch pad to get rid of the rest of the glue.
Use a little soapy water to get rid of residue without letting soapy water get inside bottle.
Rinse well with water.
Clean inside with good cleaner like B Bright, rinse well, before B Bright has a chance to dry inside bottle.
Sanitize and fill.

Some people use a dishwasher, but I have never tried it, myself.

Stopped at a local bar to meet a friend for a cold one and happened to ask the bartender about wine bottles because there were some half full ones he was pouring out of near me. Told him what I was looking for and why and before I could turn around he pulled out a box and filled it with brown, green and amber empties. Was so easy I will be visiting other establishments looking for more. The wine gods are watching over me.

I have never purchased any of my wine bottles, except the 375 ml ones I use for sampling. Several of my friends save their bottles for me. Of course they are all different colors and sizes, but they still work for me; I have enough bottles now that I can many times match enough bottles to make a batch.

I have cleaned probably over 400 wine bottles so I have a bit of experience with it.

First, I soak the bottles overnight (or longer if I'm lazy) with oxyclean. Actually it's no-name stuff that's scent free.

Then your best friend is a utility knife. Scrape of all of the labels with the knife. If it has a sticky glue go over the glue again with the razor under COLD water to get most of the glue off. Cold water is the best advise: hot water makes the glue spread around while cold water makes it ball up and fall off. If there is any glue left, a scotch pad under cold water will take it off. I have never had a reason to use any solvent or chemical to get glue off using the cold water and scotch pad.

Eventually the scotch pad will get clogged up with glue. When it starts transferring glue to bottles instead of taking off I get a new one.

For the inside of the bottle I have a bottle brush that I cut the handle off of and put it on my cordless drill. Makes short work of that.

One time I scored 10 cases of bottles from a wine maker who was moving. I put them all in the bath tub and it was miserable doing that many; took me two days cramped up over the tub. Now I do a dozen or so at a time at the kitchen sink. Much more manageable. I've stopped accepting bottles now though, I can finally say I've got enough.

I use hot water to get the paper off and then acetone for the glue underneath.

Various state and federal laws (depending where you are) can make the labels extra sticky. Here in Maryland, a label on a wine bottle must be able to withstand at least a 2 hours soaking.

Amazing what happens when you ASK.

Various state and federal laws (depending where you are) can make the labels extra sticky. Here in Maryland, a label on a wine bottle must be able to withstand at least a 2 hours soaking.

Are you kidding me?

great find this is what make winemaking that much more enjoyable

Surprisingly no. It can leave the glue smeared around so a little acetone or Goo-Off may be needed. It can get a little messy with all the paper-dust flying around.

I don't have a bench grinder, so my wife uses the wire wheel outside; bonus is no paper dust in the garage!
wifegrind.jpg

My wife would make a rude suggestio as to where I could stick the wire wheel, and the bottle.

Label removal

I use a utility knife after soaking to soften , residual glue comes off easily with mineral spirits

Latest posts

Back