Filtering wine 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of filter?

• Mini Jet

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Whole House

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Filter

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No Filter

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

gird123

Reaction score
There is a thread on filtering wine that sparked my interest. I'm considering getting a mini jet.

How many of you use the mini jet?

How many of you use the whole house filter?

Other filter?

Let time do the filtering (no filtration before bottling)?

Does filtration remove all of the yeast and the yeast taste?

I started in June and i have a lot of the basic equipment(hydrometer, acid test kit, many 6 gallon primaries, 10 carboys, temp controlled freezer,and most of the basic) I'm looking for the next thing to improve my wine. Time in the bottle is probably one of the many things. I'm learning. No floor corker yet but i still like my hand held. Before i spend the money on the filter is there some other piece of equipment that would improve the quality of my wine more than the filter or make wine making easier?

Nate

There is a thread on filtering wine that sparked my interest. I'm considering getting a mini jet.

How many of you use the mini jet?

How many of you use the whole house filter?

Other filter?

Let time do the filtering (no filtration before bottling)?

Does filtration remove all of the yeast and the yeast taste?

I started in June and i have a lot of the basic equipment(hydrometer, acid test kit, many 6 gallon primaries, 10 carboys, temp controlled freezer,and most of the basic) I'm looking for the next thing to improve my wine. Time in the bottle is probably one of the many things. I'm learning. No floor corker yet but i still like my hand held. Before i spend the money on the filter is there some other piece of equipment that would improve the quality of my wine more than the filter or make wine making easier?

Nate

If you have a hand corker now, check out this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Bottle-Capper-Corker-Home-Brewing-Wine-/360324845106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e508ce32

It does the functionality of a floor corker, at a fraction of the price.

You can use the larger synthetic corks, so there is an improvement in the quality of your wine there, and it will last longer.

Plus it does champagne corks, as well as beer bottle caps.

If you have a hand corker now, check out this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Bottle-Capper-Corker-Home-Brewing-Wine-/360324845106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e508ce32

It does the functionality of a floor corker, at a fraction of the price.

You can use the larger synthetic corks, so there is an improvement in the quality of your wine there, and it will last longer.

Plus it does champagne corks, as well as beer bottle caps.

Do you own this corker? I am wondering about it leaving dimples? Neat idea if it works, otherwise you can get a good Port. floorcorker for the same price but it won't do caps or champagne corks.

To answer the original question I use the mini jet filter and the enolmatic. They are both great filters. I use the mini jet for things like jalapeno wine and throw the filter away afterwards. The enolmatic lets me filter and bottle at the same time.

I just got a Vinbrite filter for Christmas. Already done 3 gallon jug of apple pie, 5 gallon jug of skeeter pee (in process in pic) and 1 gallon of peach=not in picture. Did the apple, ran a gallon of warm water through, then did the peach. More warm water then the pee. WOW, what a difference in clarity.

101_2308.jpg

I have been using a round pressure plate filter for about 10 years and it has served me well. It takes two filter pads ( about $2.50/pr) and is reasonable in price. I don't recall seeing anyone on here use one of these (or perhaps I just haven't noticed) - are they not popular down in the States?

The one I am using in the picture runs about $40.00, and only needs 1 pad to do a great job.

Latest posts

Back