Filtering white wine/wine diamonds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I just bulk aged a RJS EP Sauvignon Blanc for 5 months and have cold stabilized it for 30 days. When I was done filtering I noted a brown colored sediment in the bottom of the old carboy. What is this? Wine diamonds I expected to be white or clear in color. Thanks.

Those were wine diamonds and they can be different colors depending on the wine. I rack my carboys off the diamonds immediately after taking them out of cold stabilizing.There are other things that will fall out with the diamonds when you cold stabilize but if you wait to rack the could go back into suspension if you don't rack asap. The diamonds will not. Also racking right away will keep your filters from plugging up if you get down into the sediment.

To conduct cold stabilization, what’s the temp range one would want to bring the carboy down to?

Probably wanna use a plastic carboy at that range to be safe. Interesting process though.

The Better Bottles do work well for this. Wine does not freeze usually untill it gets around 18*. I have even cold stabilized at 0* for about 5-6 days with no issue but again Ideally 28* for three weeks is best. I use solid bungs and rack immediately to a cean carboy after removing them from the freezer.

What does the cold stabilization do for the wine?

Drops out excessive acids that might possibly find their way settling to the bottom of bottles, mostly. Helps balance the wines with higher acid levels, taking off some of the acidic 'bite'

Keep in mind - it is perfectly fine to drink w/o doing CS.

The bottles will get wine diamonds in the bottom of it - again - nothing wrong with drinking it.

A lot of folks don't have the means to CS - they just pour the wine off the wine diamonds before serving.

But for about $120 - you can CS pretty easy.

Chest freezer and Thermostat override.

Latest posts

Back