Filtering Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
Ok, I need some thoughts on filtering red wine. My port calls for it and I plan to do it to the Riesling, but not sure about reds.

The port falls into the red catagory and the directions request it.

I bought the mini-jet filter and a bunch of #2 filters.

Please provide your thoughts.

I used to filter all of my wines (reds included). Lately I have been substituting time for filtering. Will probably be going back to filtering some wines.

I was taught to use #1 filters for reds, and #2 filters for white/blushes. Never have used #3s. Some people use #2s for everything.

The Mini Jet is a good little filter. Some folks have problems with the hoses leaking and the pads leaking. I haven't had that much trouble with either. If you get some sediment sucked into the pads then they will plug up and spray every which way, so be careful. I usually rack off sediment before filtering.

Steve

I have a mini jet that I usually use only for my whites to give them that commercial "polish" . I used to filter my reds but enough posts convinced me that it stripped some of the body and flavor out of them and that the aesthetic improvement wansnt worth the extra $$ in filters. They were right. Red wine is very forgiving if you don't filter it. Use up your number twos for the whites. In my experience, I have let the whites clear to such a degree that the first filtering I went right to the number ones and it made a big difference. For what it's worth, I normally do not filter until the wine looks completely clear, but what a difference it makes on the whites. Just when you think that it couldn't get any clearer, a filtering will really make those whites look "professional". Good luck!

For what it's worth, I normally do not filter until the wine looks completely clear, but what a difference it makes on the whites. Just when you think that it couldn't get any clearer, a filtering will really make those whites look "professional". Good luck!
Same for me, I only filter clear, sediment free wine. I filter everything. When I do reds, I pour the first 2-3 bottles back into the carboy. Those are the ones that might have the color striped. After that, all is well.

Same for me, I only filter clear, sediment free wine. I filter everything. When I do reds, I pour the first 2-3 bottles back into the carboy. Those are the ones that might have the color striped. After that, all is well.
Sounds like Dan (Runningwolf) is bottling from the filter. Please note that this is not recommended by Buon Vino with the Mini Jet.

Steve

Filtering that I do is done for a different reason than a home brewer. My livelihood depends on quality in color, clarity, flavor and aroma. A properly done filtering will not strip a wine. The key is not viewing the filer as a filter but a polishing medium. Sediment is the enemy to filtering. If you can not see the filament of a flashlight through the wine then walk away and allow it time before trying to filter.

I know a few people that use coffee filters .. Its cheap and actually does a good job...

I know a few people that use coffee filters .. Its cheap and actually does a good job...
and how much wine are they filtering at one go?

I tried to filter a gallon once with coffee filters and a funnel. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Steve

I would worry about too much O2 exposure with a coffee filter unless you're doing it for one bottle at the time of consumption

I filtered and then bottled my reds.

I filtered my red wines into two new vessels. I decided to let them sit for a day before I bottled, so I put airlocks on them. I was surprised to see some fermentation after about 4 hours. Not much, but some.

I bottled the Lodi Old Vine Zin and the Stag's Leap Merlot the next day. While bottling I could see through the color coming through the bottler line and it looked clear. After bottling I could not see through the bottle. The amount left over we drank and it was great, but could only see through the bottom of the glass. Does anyone know if these wines are so dense that you can't see through them, or did I bottle cloudy wine?
confused.gif

What. I did. I'll enclose pictures but I tied two coffee filters to end of racking hose and create suction and works pretty well.

thats what i do throughout racking. have my cane and i afix a coffee filter onto BOTH ends. that way most all sediment stays in the first and if some gets through the second filter on the end of the hose keeps most all of it IN the hose.

just use a bit of kitchen twine to tie to both ends that way youre not using a rubber band and boom youll be 99% there. tiny sedimet will still remain, but that can be taken care of with a house filter or whatever you like. :try

Lol, did you try it once with flavored dental floss? The underlining/bolding made me laugh, but i am short on sleep & it is really early in the morning for me

Lol, did you try it once with flavored dental floss? The underlining/bolding made me laugh, but i am short on sleep & it is really early in the morning for me

Nahhhh the favoring as an organic substance, It wouldnt be to good to add to wine..

Nahhhh the favoring as an organic substance, It wouldnt be to good to add to wine..

Yeah i wouldnt do it intentionally, i just wondered if there was a mistake / good story involved ::

Latest posts

Back