Filter question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce652

Reaction score
With three batches comming along I was talking about clarifying with my wife. After talking she gave me the green light to buy a filter. Im looking for thoughts and suggestions for the best bang for the buck. Quickness isnt a factor since Im doing this hobby for relaxation and learning. Ive seen a lot of talk about the gravity filter and may go this route.

Any thoughts?

I use the gravity filter and it works fine for the $. Filters are only used to polish an already cleared wine though.

Gottcha wade...I know I have a while to go on these batches but I have to strike while the iron is hot or she might change her mind.

smiley2.gif

I use both the gravity filter and the mini jet. Love both and would recommend both.
VPC

The gravity filter does a nice job and is great for people who aren't in a hurry. And the best part of it is really the price!

I use the Mini-Jet and been super happy for the last 4 years.

I used my Mini Jet for the first time yesterday and was quite pleased with the process and the result

pelican said:
I have a gravity filter and like it just fine. A little slow, maybe, but not too slow.

How long does it take to filter 6 gallons with your gravity filter?

I beleive the Mini-Jet takes 10 minutes or less.

Might be I paid $169. Just like anything else there are all different products to dosimular jobs. Its a triple pad filter and pump so it clears better IMHO.

Im sure it does a better job tepe, Just not worth it to me as Im only polishing my wines with it and when its cleared properly and then run through there it is absolutely crystal clear.

if used properly and time is more of a concern and patient isn't then you can not only filter but bottle at the same time with the jet pump,yet i have also come to use plain coffee filters to add a little polish as it were if a minor problem arrises and a bottle needs polish ....thers no end to the methods one can use to achieve the final end ..is there...

You know the great thing about winemaking is there are alot of ways to make it. It also proves that you don't need to get super expensive "gadgets". I been making wine for well over 10 years and never filtered till the last 4.

What's most important is what you do BEFORE filtering.

I read on another forum, the best way to filter wine; is to just drink from the carboy, (QC Testing), then use your kidneys for the fine polishing.
smiley2.gif

ASAI said:
I read on another forum, the best way to filter wine; is to just drink from the carboy, (QC Testing), then use your kidneys for the fine polishing.
smiley2.gif
</font>

I think that should have come with a spew alert! That was funny, now I need to clean the monitor ..........
VPC

Back