Fermenting juice buckets using fresh crushed grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
The background info:
This fall I decided to try making a few juice buckets, all Italian reds adding approx. 9-10 lbs of fresh crushed Sangiovese grapes to each bucket, instead of buy grape skin packs.
I want to start by describing the Sangiovese grapes that I purchased from M&M, I selected the Lanza vineyard based upon reviews that I'd read dating back a few years, everything I read was pure praise, that was good enough for me.
When I received the grapes, they didn't disappoint at all, beautiful clusters of plump grapes that were sweet as candy, I had to stop myself and everyone else from diving into these grapes!
We purchased a dozen lugs, one of which I set aside and crushed separately for the juice buckets.
When I opened the juice buckets, Brunello, Valpolicella, Montepulciano and Barolo, they all tested at 1.090 SG except the Barolo, this has started to ferment and was at 1.040.
I hydrated and pitched BM 4x4 yeast and added the crushed grapes, I made a decision to let the Barolo continue fermenting as is due to the fact that it was already fermenting, in retrospect, I should have added the grapes to the Barolo as well, the Sangiovese grapes were at 28 Brix, this would have bumped the SG up enough to justify adding the yeast as well.
The other buckets each got between 9-10 lbs.
Fermentation went without any issues, I started MLF but due to the temps dropping in my cellar, MLF stopped when the temps fell below the temp tolerance, after over a month, I decided to add heat to the carboys which started the MLF back up.
Fast forward to yesterday, while taking a temp reading of the carboys, I decided to take a quick taste of the wine, i was half expecting to get a young/green almost acidic taste that you can get from young wine, I was shocked at just how good the wine fermented on the Sangiovese grapes is...WOW!
The wine has a real nice fruit forward aroma and taste, to be honest, if the wine didn't improve any from this point, I'd still drink it with a smile!
From this point forward, any juice bucket that I make will be fermented on fresh crushed grape skins!

I second Pumpkin, last fall I used 100 lbs of Cab Sav grapes on 3 buckets of Merlot. Fermented with BM-45. If you are using Juice buckets get grapes!

How should a novice go about obtaining these grapes or learn about this approach? Seems like a great idea.

HenryMae,
Most of the bigger distributors of buckets will off grapes as well. A lot of home brew shops offer them as well.
Where are you located?

Pumpkinman,

If you do not mind me asking..

Why not simply go with 100% crushed grapes? Why go with the juice buckets at all?

John,
There are several varieties that I've enjoyed making in the past that I still like to have around, other than that, agree, the Sangiovese and Cab Sav grapes that I got this fall are amazing.
HenryMae, Juice buckets are usually just juice from crushed and pressed grapes, most have been stabilized with meta, some add yeast. You are in control of most all processes and decisions in the wine making process.
Wine Kits come pre balanced and stabilized, and have a set if instructions that you follow adding the supplied ingredients and chemicals when the instructions dictate.

Latest posts

Back