Fermentation Temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
I live in Dallas; third floor of an apartment building. Average temperature of my fermentation is running around 77 degrees which I know is way high.

Any ideas of how to cool this down? I just racked from primary to the carboy for the "10 day wait".Would setting this glass carboy in a tub of cool bath water help simmer it down a bit?

Its a Riesling...so I know that wine type typically wants cooler temps for fermentation.

Bovine

You could try putting your fermentor and or carboy's on the floor. Heat rises, cooler air drops. Might be a degree or two cooler there. Keep them out of any direct sunlight. Try to find the coolest area of your apartment or just break down and lower the thermostat on the AC a little

Tub will work. You could also put the carboy in the primary bucket, add water around it, and then wrap a T-shirt around it that is wet with the bottom of the shirt in the water like a wick. This works by evaporation cooling and is proven to drop it around 5*. A fan blowing on it will cool it even more but will add to the electric bill.

Edited by: wade

Thanks Smurfe and Wade...great advice!

I just finished cleaning my equipment from the first racking...so I'll put my fermentation bucket to use.

Bovine

Will do..I sorta chickened out on putting the carboy in the bucket. I realized my limitations and the whole thing was just a bit to dicey for me. I would have hated to have to be typing from the emergency room when I either dropped the thing on my foot or worse!

So...next best thing...she's comfortably resting in the tub (there was a little more manuverablity that direction), with cool water and the wet tshirt wicking up the water.

Could I add a fan to this...sorta gently blowing.

I'm thinking at this point, I may have to get an evaporative cooler for the bathroom...either that or now would be a great time to think about buying a house!

Bovine

I fan would help drop temps even more and I did post that. I do the same thing sometimes. Just get so involved that stuff doesnt register.

Figured I'd provide an update. The carboy is resting comfortably in the bathtub. I have water up about 5 or 6 inches up on the sides. Wet t-shirt wrapped around and wicking up water. Added a fan on it.
Ambient air temperature in the room has dropped 2 degrees and is now around 74 so I suspect the temp in the carboy has dropped off that 77 high.

Also...seems the yeast has gotten a little more active again...quite a bit of bubbling occuring at least more than there was yesterday!

So I guess this next phase I keep it like this for 10 days according to the kit instructions and I want to try and minimize exposure to air...I think that's right!

Thanks to everyone for your assistance and great advice. This is a great community!
smiley32.gif

Bovines

bovine, I love your tag line! That's how I live. I don't want to die of nothing!
While the instructions say 0 days, also keep an eye on that SG. This is so exciting!

Thanks Polish! Yeah...I'm pretty darned excited. I love the fact that right before I go to work every day, I get the pleasure of smelling wine fermenting and the aroma is what greets me in the evenings!

Woohoo!

Latest posts

Back