Cellar Craft Fermentation Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
I've been making kit wines for several years. I've always recognized that fermentation will raise the temp slighty, However, I just started a CC Old Vine Zin which ready took off. I ferment in an ambient of 72 - 74 F* which may, based on my prior experience result in the must getting to around 76 - 77 F* .

I use the stick on thermometers on my fermentors so I was surprised to see my Zin go past the 78 max these register. It got significantly warmer than any batches I had previously made. My guess was somewhere in the low 80's.

Has this trashed my Zin?

Agreed, sounds like you had a bunch of happy yeast. With fresh grapes you can easily get into the low to mid 80's if conditions are right.

If it is a kit, it most likely included Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, this yeast has a temperature range of 50° - 86°, as everyone else stated, you are fine.
Here is a good link to be able to have a quick reference check of the most popular Lalvin yeast strains: Click Here, click on one and it will give you detailed info, from origins, to which wines it is beast suited for, to which characteristics it can bring out of a wine, temp thresholds, alcohol tolerances and so on, a basic yeast pedigree...lol

Back