Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
Is there any reason that you should not let any wines ferment until they stop on there own (down to S.G. .0990 and -2 1/2 to - 3 brix/balling). So far all of my Scratch wine and Wine kits that I have made have fermented down to .0992. Would you ever want to stop fermentation for any reason? Thanks for the replies, Lynn

Stopping a fermentation is most times a hard thang to do with most of our homewinemaking skills and equipment. Port wine is made by fortifying the wine with brandy at some point, which kills the yeast by alcohol toxicity, stopping the fermentation. Some wineries might give the wine a lethal dose of sulphite and sorbate at a predetermined point and then chill the wine at about 30*F for a few days. Hopefully the wine will not restart fermentation when it warms back up. There are other methods, I'm sure. You are doing the correct thang by fermenting dry, stabilizing with sulphite and sorbate, then sweetening up by taste, if desired.

I was just concerned Hippie, I am starting to try some different types of wine and was curious about the fermentation. My last blackberry is ready for its second racking. It started out at 1.105 S.G. I checked numerous times during fermentation to keep a check on it. It finished up off the scale of the Hydrometer. I am afraid I may end up with a very strong (alcohol content) wine when I get it finished. I have tried to make my scratch with P.A. of 13 -13 1/2 % only to have them go to a S.G. of .990 and then be a little on the strong side (alcohol). Any suggestions for when this happens?? (I guess I need to cut back onthe sugar!!

Yep, cut back on the SG to about 11-12% PA and don't be afraid to try many different strains of yeast.

Latest posts

Back