WineXpert Fermentation problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saccharomyces

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thought I would throw this out there and see if someone has any ideas.

I just started a new batch of wine on Monday, a zinfandel that I am making from sun country concentrate. My s.g. was 1.096, and I am using WL 749 Assmanhausen yeast.I made a yeast starter the day before (Sunday), and the airlock on the starter was off and bubbling for a few hours before I pitched it in the must. The must temp was about 76 in both the must and the starter when it was pitched, and the fermentor was placed in a dark (yet warm, about 70-ish degree) place.

This was Monday evening. It is now almost 72 hours later, and the airlock hasn't budged. I know that this particular yeast strain is a slow fermentor (from what I have read on other message boards), but I figured by using a starter, the lag time shouldbe much less.

Now, the only thing I did do which I am now regretting is using some potassium metabisulphite in the must on Sunday. Basically, the recipe I was following from Alexanders said to mix the concentrate and water, then let it sit over night. This apparently is done to make sure the concentrate is completely reconstituted, and helps you avoid having all of the concentrate sitting at the bottom of the fermentor. Because it has been so warm here, I was worried about letting the must sit overnight with no yeast, so Istirred inabout a 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulphite, dissolved in water, into the must and let it sit over night. I figured since this is what is done when making wine from grapes, it wouldn't hurt the yeast, so long as I waited at least a day before pitching, which I did.

Anyone have any ideas? I have since given the must a good stir again last night, but still this morning, nothing going on in the airlock. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular yeast, if this is normal, any suggestions of what I might try, etc..

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I have had no experience with this yeast and it has been some time since I made wine from canned concentrate.

The addition of a ¼ teaspoon of metabisulfite 24 hours before pitching the yeast should not be the problem, as most cultured wine yeast are fairly tolerant of SO2. I am assuming the metabisulfite was added to at least 5 gallons of reconstituted juice.

At this point all I have are questions. Other than water, what else was added to the Must? Did you test acidity or add acid blend according to instructions? Perhaps the most important question is; how was the yeast starter prepared? It is possible that the yeast exhausted the food supply and the colony was in a state of decline when added to the Must. Even though you indicate that the starter was bubbling prior to addition, it is also possible that the yeast could have been past its prime.

Having gone almost a week without activity, you may have lost this batch. However, if you have not already done so, I would suggest trying to re-start using a Lalvin EC-1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast. Other forum members may have better suggestions regarding the yeast.

I hate giving up on a wine. Let me know how it turns out.

I agree with Joseph. Stir it like mad for a while, make another starter, repitch. (new word)

Welcome to the forum.

I had fermenting trouble with my blueberry wine, I added fresh yeast
but it didn't help, then I airated with this fish tank pump and stone
on a SS welding rod to hold it down to the bottom of the carboy, and
also added more yeast nutrient, and also added yeast energizer for the
first time, plus a new pack of lavin 116, my fermentation then took off
like normal.

2005-05-28_081804_airator.jpg

2005-05-28_081918_may2_05_blueberry_airate_002.jpg

Latest posts

Back