Fermentation not starting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three buckets holding about 7 gallons of juice each. Two Niagara and one of Cranberry. I put 1/4 tsp of K-meta in each one on the first day. The next day I put in the yeast nutrient and than a package of Red Star Montrachet Yeast. Its been 24 hours and the fermentation has not started. The temp is 68 degrees. Should I get another package of yeast to sprinkle on top? The yeast I used I mixed with hot water per the instructions on the package. I am used to mainly doing kits where you always sprinkle the yeast on top of the juice. The instructions say the yeast package is for 5 gallons, so maybe the additional would give it a boost?

Did you check the date on the yeast? How hot was the water? Too hot and the yeast may have been cooked. I usually just use room temp water (for me 75-80F). Sometimes it takes a bit to get going and I start getting concerned at the 48 hour mark (the reason I now make great big starters whenever possible). Cranberry can be a challenge to get going so be patient.
VC

Yea I agree with Appleman. You may want to add some nutrient as well. The cranberry can be a tough one to start though. Was it fresh or from 100% juice?

At those temps the batches will take a little longer to start and like vcasey said too hot a temp to the yeast will cook them, do not exceed 100* cause your thermo might be a little off. Cranberry naturally contains benzoate which is can cause problems so that will probably be the last 1 to get started.

Thanks Guys, I did add nutrients but I think I killed of the yeast. I used HOT water from the tap. I got some new stuff today and will reapply with luke warm water. This was fresh juice I picked up at Walkers.

Yeah.... those yeast don't like anything over 109 degree's. Good luck with this next run.

Give them room temp and a little orange or apple juice and make a quick starter. This way you know the yeast is working when you add it.

Yes. im talking about making a starter instead of just re hydrating the yeast.

I usually add yeast nutrient to the starter as well just do help the little guys out a bit more. :)

Wish I had known about the starter before adding the new yeast. Its been 24 hours now since I added new yeast with just 100 degree water this time instead of hot water. The two primary's with about 7 gallons of Niagara in them is just starting to show pressure on the lids and the air locks are showing signs they may be ready to bubble. The primary with Cranberry juice has not started at all yet and the lid shows no sign of pressure on it yet (swelled in the middle) even when I slightly push down on it. I just put a brew belt on it. The room temp is 68 degrees. I'll keep you posted.

AHH There she Blows! Thanks everyone, everything is finally bubbling. Would it of went quicker if I had not covered the primary's with a lid and air lock for first few days?
smiley20.gif

YES. The yeast needs extra air (oxygen) the firse few days. I lay th lid on top till the wine gets 1.010 and then I rack then put the airlock on the carboy.

tepe said:
YES. The yeast needs extra air (oxygen) the firse few days. I lay th lid on top till the wine gets 1.010 and then I rack then put the airlock on the carboy.

Got this idea from Tepe a few months back.... works like a charm
smiley32.gif

Hey runningwolf is that the juice from the supplier that you posted a few weeks or month ago from around buffallo, or between you and buffalo... somewhere around lake Erie....?
smiley1.gif

I was going to have them ship me some stuff to try, is it working OK for ya?

Runningwolf, is that the supplier from on lake Erie between you and buffalo?

the 1 you posted a few weeks ago?

thought of having the send me some juice, they have quite a selection.
Is it working out for ya?

I always snap lid and have never had a problem with this. Cranberry can be a bear though due to its natural benzoate in it and should always be started with a starter yeast or even better if you can plan on starting a wine on the lees from a freshly racked out of primary bucket. That yeast is hungry and ready to just devour some sugar.

Latest posts

Back