Fermentation Flying along

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky

Reaction score
Hello,
I just checked my carboy....i`m in secondary ferm.... i`ll start from the beginning...started my RJS Winery series Super Tuscan..on 9-26..... reading on Day2...SG....1.094...(temp adjustment) 1.097...temp 80..AVB 12.2%...Brix 22 Ferm started in less then 12 hours...moved to a carboy on Day 5...SG 1.014(Temp adjustment)1.016...temp 76....the instructions said move to carboy when at 1.020 or below....now i checked it tonight...Day 9... .992,temp 75...? activity seems to have slowed alot...can i wait and check it in 3 days....it`s under airlock since i put it in the carboy.....the reason i would like to wait is i ordered a new toy from Steve at ALL IN ONE PUMPS, and i would like to rack it with that...after i add the additives ....I`ll tell ya Steve is a ready nice ,and very helpfull person....answered all my question ,explained how it worked ,and said his phone line was open for anything that pops up,questions or problems....good dude.....back to the wine...how long do i have ,before i advance to the next step....i like to degas with the pump....Thanks for reading ,and hopefully replying.....lol :?.....oh , i tried a sample....harsh, but i think down the road it`s gonna be pretty tasty

Last edited:
Ricky, you are fine. Keep it under airlock and wait for your pump. You will really be happy that you de-gassed with a pump versus the manual way.

Thanks Rocky......as you know...the next step is rack of the lees....( would you use the pump...isn`t that degassing?...it says...rack,sulphite stir,potassium sorbate...stir,then degas...kieselsol..stir,chitosan...stir...then degas again ?....would you rack it back and forth....in clean and sanitized carboys?

Ricky

I have the all in one. I don't rack back and forth to degass. I just rack with it several times over th e year or so that I bulk age and it will be fully degassed.

Thanks Chad..... i was just thinking out loud..... the instuctions say... add a couple additives ,degas...add a couple more ,degas..... i`m probably over thinking?....i`m thinking rack it off the lees with the pump....add the additives...stir with the spoon....add the other additives....stir vigorously..... then put the airlock on?....sounds like a plan

Latest posts

Back