Fermax & Ammonia smell?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Junior
Reaction score
<DIV =postcolor id=post-385289>Hello,

I pitched the yeast for my reisling (6 gallons)yesterday and today I added fermax yeast nutrient. I mixed 5 teaspoons with a little water and juice then put it into the juice. I was about to clean the cup I used and noticed a heavy smell of ammonia from what was left over from the mixture in the cup. This is my first time using Fermax is this a normal smell from this. Has anybody noticed this before? Oh and the cup was clean and did not have an ammonia smell before using it.

Thanks,
Bryan

It was not a kit. It was fresh juice. I added the fermax on the advice of the person at the wine shop. Said it would be good for yeast fermenting

Bryan

Pbdist,

Fermax is a yeast nutrient and therefore a source of nitrogen. Ammonia is one of the ways that nitrogen can be contained (NH3). DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) is another and releases more nitrogen per grame than Fermax. While care must be taken when adding yeast nutrient early on (nitrogen can shock/burn new yeast cells), it should be fine.

When a YANC profile is run on a wine, there are two sources of nitrogen available for the yeast that are tested and add together for the YANC numeric value - assimilable amino nitrogen and ammonia.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back