Feeding Recyled Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMountaineerJack

Reaction score
So when using the yeast from a previous batch for a new one it seems most people just make the must as normal on top of the yeast, but is that the best way to do it? The yeast have already gone through their vegetative phase previously in the first batch to reproduce. They then went thru alcoholic fermentation and are pretty beat up and tired. Is there a better way to rehabilitate the yeast and remove built up waste etc that has accumulated from the previous fermentation. Maybe first resuspend them in a lower SG solution with some GoFerm to rebuild their cell membranes and let them stabalize for a while before dumping in the next must?

WVMJ

I've only done this twice. I put the yeast slurry into a plastc container and added a squirt of water and a pinch of energizer and a pinch of sugar and let it go. Both times it has come back strong. Poured into new must and it was active quickly(several hours). Hope this helps.

I've done 2nd runs by adding juice buckets or kit wine directly to pressed skins. Had a good cap form within 8 hrs and then did punch downs and added nutrients as if it was a standard ferment.

I think there are so many yeast cells in suspension at the end of a ferment that only the viable ones will take-off quickly and start fermenting. The sick-ones likely get overwhelmed, give up and provide some good nutrients to their healthy friends.

Cheers!

I like others - for 2nd runs, just add sugar water and some nutrients and within hours it is already fermenting . Been doing this way for many years with no problems. On the other hand I would not want to try and freeze it for next year - but that probably could work ?

I'll freeze a slurry every now and then and have them in the freezer for a year and never had a problem with it starting.

I've done 2nd runs by adding juice buckets or kit wine directly to pressed skins. Had a good cap form within 8 hrs and then did punch downs and added nutrients as if it was a standard ferment.

I think there are so many yeast cells in suspension at the end of a ferment that only the viable ones will take-off quickly and start fermenting. The sick-ones likely get overwhelmed, give up and provide some good nutrients to their healthy friends.

Cheers!

I have wondered if I could move a fruit bag from a must that is finishing to another begining ferment and gain any benefit from the extra leftover pulp? I only make fruit wines so I don't if it would be the same. Not trying to change the topic ya'll, but curious.

Thanks beano Joe

Beano, depends on the fruit and if there is anything left in it for the yeast to get out. Elderberry, raspberry, blackberry can add more to a second ferment, peaches, apples, pears maybe not. If you are adding it to a beginning ferment I assume you mean one already started, if its a different yeast in each one you might end up with a different result, like if you added a high alcohol tolerant yeast with your bag of fruit to a low alcohol tolerrant yeast the high one would take over, also if you are doing MLF, if you add a MLF intolerant yeast with your bagged fruit to a MLF tolerant yeast it might make it hard to complete MLF. If its same yeast to same yeast you of course wouldnt have any problems.

Maybe adding a little yeast hulls to absorb any inhibitory elements might make them even better. I havent had any problems reusing yeast immediately after racking but just looking to make it even better enviornment for the yeasts.

WVMJ

Don't mean to revive a dead thread but I had questioned this too. I had a bag of plums, blackberries, blueberries, and raisins I pulled out of one batch and didn't fully press/drain. I added it to a second must that had dark cherries and more blackberries. I ended up adding yeast but I'm pretty sure fermentation would have restarted in the new must just from the yeast suspended in my fruit bag. The second running wine didn't get much of the flavor from the first fruits, even after pressing, so I will probably blend it back in to get me 7 gals of good country red instead of 5 amazing gallons + 2 of super thin stuff.

Latest posts

Back