F Packs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbwii

Reaction score
I have read quite a few threads and I see entries/recipes that call for putting fruit in a strainer bag and putting this in the primary. I have also read references to F Packs (which I assume is Fruit Pack) so my question is are these the same thing or is an F Pack a special kind of creature. If the latter can someone explain it to me (i.e. how to make up an F Pack and when and how to use one) or if this has been explained elsewhere perhaps someone can guide me to it? Thanks.

I have read quite a few threads and I see entries/recipes that call for putting fruit in a strainer bag and putting this in the primary. I have also read references to F Packs (which I assume is Fruit Pack) so my question is are these the same thing or is an F Pack a special kind of creature. If the latter can someone explain it to me (i.e. how to make up an F Pack and when and how to use one) or if this has been explained elsewhere perhaps someone can guide me to it? Thanks.

An f-pack is a concentrated fruit/sugar concoction, much like a dense syrup, can be used to backsweeten&flavor if you add sugar to the fruit or to simply add more fruit flavor to the wine at the end stage of fermentation. Just depends on how you build it. Sticky in CountryFruit section, http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f45/how-make-f-pac-7547/ I call f-packs, flavor packs.
A straining bag is used to contain the fermenting fruit, pulp, and seeds. It can.make removal of all fruit components so much easier. And a breeze to press.

Last edited:
Thanks Sara, I had a feeling they were not the same but rather than guessing I prefer to know for sure. So Thanks again.

What do you use for a straining bag if you wanted to make one yourself?

Tess, although I have not tried either, I have heard of people using a nylon stocking and also making a "bag" out of cheesecloth. For the latter, I would envision taking a large square or two of cheese cloth, placing the fruit in the center, bringing up the corners and tying it off with string.

Rocky said:
Tess, although I have not tried either, I have heard of people using a nylon stocking and also making a "bag" out of cheesecloth. For the latter, I would envision taking a large square or two of cheese cloth, placing the fruit in the center, bringing up the corners and tying it off with string.

How Rocky described it is exactly how I do it. No problems so far.

Paint strainer bags from Lowe's or Home Depot. I wash in the washing machine then hang up to dry and sanitize before I use again.

Thank you. Iv decided to make Dragons Blood. I will need one. This way I'll have a wine ready to show my wine skills off to my family while I make a longer aging wine for myself :)

Should have added the paint strainer bags are cheap enough to throw away but I am cheap too so I wash them and re-use them over and over..

Back