F-PAC help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topsy, I just transfered Steves(madrivers) recipe into the secondary yesterday. I'd be happy to share the results and progress with you. just ask, not as red as I would have thought but seems to be going great.
Troy
:b:b

I have to tell the truth. ::The pics give the wine exceptional color. Why I dont know?? The true color is more of a pinkish strawberry color. The taste is already better than the Vinter's Harvest 5gal batch we bottled yesterday! :pI bow to the experts opinions in that the 5 gallon recipes from the can truely are thin. I realize the wine is only just bottled and will leave most to age. The fresh fruit really does make a big difference. With great humility, Mad:b

Fpac, pectic enzyme, and adding at secondary question

Perhaps I've overlooked it but I've been searching for defnitive answers to a question in my head. So I guess I'll pose the question and sit back and wait for the experts to weigh in.

I want to add a more intense raspberry flavor to a recipe and was thinking of adding a F-pac of sorts to the secondary instead of the primary. One reason is to avoid the chance that the vigorious initial fermentation will burn off flavor and aromas of the raspberries. I don't want to add solids to a carboy because that's just a pain to get in, get out, and clean up. So I was thinking of making a raspberry syrup instead and adding that to the secondary then racking the wine (or mead) over it. I know it will matter more if I do a wine or a mead but my question was more about whether the procedure will work.

So I was wondering if I should breakdown the raspberries first with pectic enzymes, then simmer them down to a syrup after?

Does the cooking add to a hazing effect?

When I've read the posts on making f-pac few mention pectic and there was a thread where st. allie asked about it but I couldn't find an answer in the following posts.

WSG

UPDATE: Muscat is cleared and I will be racking it again today. Braggot will be going to the basement to live for a few months. At over 11% I think it needs to sit for a year. I tasted one and I was DRUNK :s and a little sick because it was really young.

OK, If this is a 6 gallon batch I would use 5# of raspberry. Simmer them over LOW heat to release the flavor and to reduce the water. I add some sugar to this part (3TBS). After its reduced run this thru a kitchen strainer. This will leave "most" of the pulp behind.
Before adding make sure you have sulfited and SORBATED the wine. You will get some setiment so let it sit 1 week then add clairifier. Wait 1-2 weeks or longer and rack. You may need to rack again. Backsweeten to taste.
Remember to DEGAS.

Back