Other Extra Cabernet Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_G

Junior
Reaction score
My son who lives very far away from me sent me a wine kit for Christmas. It is a Fontana Cabernet kit. Ordinarily I would be thrilled, but I just made a batch of Cab a few months ago. Still have 22 or 23 bottles of Cab and 8 bottles of Cab / Merlot blend in the cellar. It was a Master Vintner kit, but was juice only - no skins (I did add some crushed blackberries to try and give it a little more flavor). I hate to return this kit. What could I do to either amp it up or make it different? Is it possible to buy grapeskins to add flavor? I live in far western Maryland if anyone would be interested in an exchange that may be a possibility, too.

I love to make the Fontana Cab with tweaks. I short the water to 5 or 5.5 gallons. Add about a quart of simple syrup to bump the sg, add a cup of currents or a couple ounces of dried elderberries and a cup of French oak chips.

I have added the kit to saved Cab Franc skins. I don't know where you can skin packs. Maybe someone else can help.

You might get some dried elderberries or concentrate and make a double batch, You can blend it with another variety kit.

Back