Exposure to oxygen while racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushwood24

Reaction score
I got a village vintner cabernet sauvignon kit for my first wine and I'm getting close to the end of fermentation. After I've added the metabisulfite, de-gassed, etc. the instrucions say to rack it two more times and filter it. I only have one carboy and a plastic bucket. I was going to transfer to the bucket, clean the carboy then transfer back to it. I am wondering if this is going to expose the wine to too much oxygen and, if so, what do you guys do to minimize the oxygen exposure when racking wine.

I do it that way. I just keep the hose close to the bottom of the receiving vessel so the wine doesn't splash a lot.

All good advice as stated above, just have everything ready to go....The transfers won't take that long and everything will be alright...

Also, that is what the sulfites are for. They are an anti-oxidant.

Thats exactly what I do as I don't have any empty carboys, somehow they always get filled up with something!

Work efficiently and try and aim the hose so it hits the side of the bucket instead of a straight dump to the bottom floor.

Welcome to the forums!
smiley32.gif

I guess that is the main thing I was forgetting about. I have made beer before and was always much more cautious about exposing it to air. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back