Everclear to fortify a port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboroff

Junior
Reaction score
I made a batch of Dechaunac (sp?) from fresh juice that turned out pretty good but had a flavor that would make a very good port. My friends and I took a small sample and added some raspberry syrup, creme de cocao and a little brandy. After several variations we came up with a good mix. However, the alcohol level at our preferred recipe was well below 20%. After checking the forum, we found many suggestions to use Everclear to raise the ABV. Simple fix we thought because several people stated that it would not change the flavor. Right.
We only added 375ml to 2.5 gal of wine. Now our port has an off aroma and somewhat bitter flavor. Apparently Everclear is not odorless/tasteless or caused an unexpected reaction in our combination. Do you think adding wine conditioner would help? Any other suggestions?

NO, do not use wine conditioner (anytime in my opinion). Did you taste the Everclear before adding it? I believe Everclear is a grain alcohol which would add some flavor.

I would not do anything to the wine for at least 6 weeks. The alcohol is making your new Port rather "hot". It will settle down some over time as it blends in.

My personal advice to you next time would be to find a brandy flavor you like and add that to your wine. Do several small (100 ml) bench trails first and see if you like it and determine what amount is best to add based off your tastings.

kboroff said:
I made a batch of Dechaunac (sp?) from fresh juice that turned out pretty good but had a flavor that would make a very good port. My friends and I took a small sample and added some raspberry syrup, creme de cocao and a little brandy. After several variations we came up with a good mix. However, the alcohol level at our preferred recipe was well below 20%. After checking the forum, we found many suggestions to use Everclear to raise the ABV. Simple fix we thought because several people stated that it would not change the flavor. Right.
We only added 375ml to 2.5 gal of wine. Now our port has an off aroma and somewhat bitter flavor. Apparently Everclear is not odorless/tasteless or caused an unexpected reaction in our combination. Do you think adding wine conditioner would help? Any other suggestions?

I used Everclear when making port and wine conditioner when felt I fermented to far and needed the sweetness.
When you do the research on how Port is made you realize that real port is not fortified with good brandy. It is fortified with the cheapest high octane alcohol, which happened to be distilled grape skins, otherwise known as brandy, but not aged good brandy.

I used Everclear when making port and wine conditioner when felt I fermented to far and needed the sweetness.
When you do the research on how Port is made you realize that real port is not fortified with good brandy. It is fortified with the cheapest high octane alcohol, which happened to be distilled grape skins, otherwise known as brandy, but not aged good brandy.

I also have used everclear, typically I would add distillers charcoal with the everclear for a week prior to using it. That would usually take out most of the odors that come from it (fussils oils ) Back in the day (from what I read) Port was fortified with non cut brandy, which means distilled wine and not dilluted with water,so the abv was similiar to everclear. Not sure how commercially how they do it in now.

Would vodka work better for this? You can find 151 Vodka in most stores.

Shoelesst, I have no doubt on anything you said. Do you realize that a lot of port is also made from old wine that has oxidized and added blended with some others. When I was touring wineries I found one winery that did this and it was actually very good. Like all wine there are many varieties and ways of making it.

I would never add any grain spirit to any wine. The two will never meld IMHO.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Brandy to me then and not a Vodka by any traditional means. Looks like its made from white grapes only thus the reason they are trying to classify it as something other than a Brandy. I suspect they are trying to cash in on the current premium priced Vodka craze......

Regular Brandy (brown in color) will cut the port wine color when used as a fortifier. Using a clear fortifier would cut the color even more.

At ~$40 a bottle and only 80 proof you would quickly end up with more money invested in your "Vodka" than in your Port wine as well!

I made a CC port kit and added a bottle of 750ml VSOP St. Remy French Brandy. When young it tasted like brandy, after 1 year it is very good. (Can't wait for next year!) The obvious brandy flavor is much subdued. This raised the ABV to about 18.8%. Strong enough for me!

When you purchase a bottle of Port from a commercial winery and its 19% ABV and deep and dark in color and almost downright "chewy" in texture you can bet they didn't take the cheap and easy route and use grain spirits. If they were to ever use a grain spirit it HAS to be on the label. They are using brandy that has been distilled up to ~150 proof (yes, it can be done but its not cheap).

ibglowin said:
When you purchase a bottle of Port from a commercial winery and its 19% ABV and deep and dark in color and almost downright "chewy" in texture you can bet they didn't take the cheap and easy route and use grain spirits. If they were to ever use a grain spirit it HAS to be on the label. They are using brandy that has been distilled up to ~150 proof (yes, it can be done but its not cheap).

When you say brandy is added, it is not brandy that you would buy in the liquor store or drink at you bar, it is high octane distilled spirit that just happens to be distilled grape. It is closer to grapa than brandy. Grain is tasteless and odorless. Water it down and you can call it vodka. The spirits used in port are much closer to grain then they are to the brandy that is regularly consumed.

Runningwolf said:
Shoelesst, I have no doubt on anything you said. Do you realize that a lot of port is also made from old wine that has oxidized and added blended with some others. When I was touring wineries I found one winery that did this and it was actually very good. Like all wine there are many varieties and ways of making it.

Yes, Tawny Port is exposed to oxygen as a practice. I am also intrigued at all the different wine making techniques. I wonder how any of else would fair as wine makers if we were transported back to Roman times. Would our techniques be revolutionary or ridiculed.
Amarone has a very different an interesting technique as well.

I use 190 proof everclear. If I can't get high proof brandy I opt for as pure alcohol as I can get to avoid diluting the port.

If you got it adjusted how you liked it, then fortified, you should expect a taste change. The alcohol addition threw it out of balance again. Give it some time....a few months at least...and see how it ages. I fortified 6 gallons of black raspberry port and even the same day the taste was just fine...but of course very different than before the alcohol addition.

We make a very limited amount of port each year.

I agree with all of the above. You want a fortifier that will bring flavor to the party. Even using cheap brandy will still produce a great port.

BTW... THANK YOU MR PEARSON!

Where can a home winemaker or consumer buy high proof brandy?

My problem is with 40% (80 proof) brandy you would need to add 2 gallons of brandy to a 5 gallon batch of 12% alcohol wine to get to 20% alcohol. That's a lot of dilution.

If you use 95% everclear you need only 0.5 gallons as it's almost pure alcohol.

If you are adding the alcohol earlier in the fermentation with lower alcohol, it's just that much more brandy you would need to add. Closer to 50/50 wine/brandy. At what point is it no longer a port wine?

Last edited:

According to this video (near the end) from Taylor, they are adding 77% neutral grain spirits.

[ame="http://youtu.be/fRzmeNub4KY"]http://youtu.be/fRzmeNub4KY[/ame]

GreginND said:
Where can a home winemaker or consumer buy high proof brandy?

My problem is with 40% (80 proof) brandy you would need to add 2 gallons of brandy to a 5 gallon batch of 12% alcohol wine to get to 20% alcohol. That's a lot of dilution.

If you use 95% everclear you need only 0.5 gallons as it's almost pure alcohol.

If you are adding the alcohol earlier in the fermentation with lower alcohol, it's just that much more brandy you would need to add. Closer to 50/50 wine/brandy. At what point is it no longer a port wine?

I agree, it has always been a concern how to get the alcohol up there without dilution.
My ports are made from ever clear and they are added during fermation and it stops the fermation because of the high alcohol content , which leaves you with a heavy bodied port and typically little sweet to off set the ABV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back