RJ Spagnols EP Gerwurztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbwii

Reaction score
Ok I just transferred this kit to the secondary. SG was 1.020 as per instructions. I topped up to about 2 ins from Airlock. About an hour later it was foaming up through the airlock so I took some out (brought it down about another inch, cleaned out sanitized and replaced the airlock. Then I went out to dinner with my family and when we came back it was foaming up through the airlock again so I repeated the procedure above.

How else (or better) can I handle this situation?

Don't top off when racking to secondary. the escaping CO2 will protect the wine. just above , or at, the shoulder is fine.

Ok thanks, now I know for next time. I have an EP Amarone that I am about to get started so hopefully I will avoid the same problem with that.

Personally, I don't move the wine to carboy until the sg is 1.005 or below. I have had the foaming in the airlock happen to me when racked above 1.005.

BTW, I don't see an EP Gewurztraminer at the RJS web-site. There is however a German Riesling Gewurztraminer. The online instructions are dated 2006, so they are not necessarily the same as those included in the box currently. However, they suggest racking about day 14 when the fermentation is complete, and the sg is below .998.

http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/assets/images/products/media/EP,%20CS,%20CC10.pdf

Steve

Ok thanks, now I know for next time. I have an EP Amarone that I am about to get started so hopefully I will avoid the same problem with that.
With this kit I would not rack until day fourteen make sure to chop your raisins a bit not trying to make little chunks just break open the skin. Move everything around t least once a day. When you reach day fourteen rack and clear. This wine benefits from a little o2 exposure during ferment.

Cpfan you're right it is the German reisling gerwurztraminer. I am happy to say that things seem to have settled down.

Back